top of page

GCAFC 0-1 Buxton

Match Report - Rowan Lee

Highlights - Sean Beeby

City Captured - Lawrence Stanley

After a kick-off delay of 30 minutes, it was the visitors who began the game on the front foot on a wet and windy Tuesday evening. Buxton’s fast start to the match helped them gain and maintain lots of possession in the opening minutes.

An early worry occurred for City when Declan Poole’s shot ended up just shy of the post a few minutes after kick-off, a solid chance for the Derbyshire-based team which City luckily escaped.

With no win in their last two games, Steven King’s side knew they couldn’t afford to make it three defeats in a row and eventually found themselves creeping into the game.

City created their first real chance when full-back Junior Tiensia whipped in a cross aiming for the head of striker Tre Mitford who was unfortunately beaten to the ball by Buxton’s powerhouse of a centre-back Sean Newton.

As the half-progressed both sides had their fair share of chances, however it was City who began to threat more and subsequently came close to opening the scoring when Ben Nugent’s shot from just outside the penalty area was easily saved by Buxton goalkeeper Theo Richardson.

The visitors did have a solid chance of their own soon after with Scott Boden catching City’s defence out and finding himself onside with a sight of goal, however he failed to find the right touch to bring the ball under control. Thus, another let off for Steve Kings men.

City’s best chance came just before the half hour mark when striker and captain Matt McClure had a bullet of an effort expertly saved by Richardson. For all of Buxton’s possession, they couldn't stop City from creating chances. This time it was Dom McHale with an excellent run, who slid a brilliantly timed pass into McClure who unfortunately dragged his shot just past the far post.

City’s Tre Mitford unleashed a fizzing shot to the near post, which again forced a great save by Richardson making sure both sides went into the break goalless.

With the first half full of chances for both outfits it seemed inevitable one of them would break the deadlock and unfortunately for City it was the visitors who hit the net first on the 53rd minute. The troublesome Declan Poole pinged in a cross to Jason Gilchrist who put Buxton 0-1 up.

Despite being on the back foot for the start of the second half, City continued to press for an equaliser as Josh Owers hit a speculative half volley which effortlessly glided over the Gloucester Brewery Stand and out for a goal kick.

As time marched on, the likelihood of City would be finding an equaliser became less.

Jake Andrews's curling shot from just outside the area was City’s last chance to equalise but his effort flew past the post and was quickly followed by the referees whistle which marked a 0-1 defeat for City.

City are next in action on Saturday afternoon (12th November), hosting Scarborough at the TigerTurf Stadium, with Steven King's side looking to bounce back into winning ways against Jonathan Greening's side. Tickets are available here, with Kids going for just a Quid and Adults paying £10 online as opposed to £12 on the gate.

Match Attendance – 737


bottom of page