top of page

Report: City 3-0 Alfreton

Goals and cards galore at the Tiger Turf stadium as Gloucester City claim second victory of the season in 3-0 victory over Alfreton Town. 

Mike Cook claims first win since returning to the club as his Gloucester City side defeat Alfreton Town at home. 

Goals from captain Joe Hanks, Brandon Smalley and a first for the club for Danny Wright helped City breeze past their Derbyshire based opponents. 

A total of 15 cards were shown by referee Liam Corbett on the day, including two red cards for Alfreton, one of which for their manager Billy Heath.

Cook made two changes to the side that were narrowly defeated 2-1 away to Southport as Max Ram and Alefe Santos came in for Elliott Durrell and Kornell McDonald.

City Debutant Alefe Santos was a standout performer on the day picking up an assist for his side’s second goal whilst causing problems all afternoon for Alfreton.

It was a quiet start for both sides early on as Alfreton looked to open the scoring with multiple long throws on the left flank. 

The reds came really close to opening up the scoring thanks to one of their long throw routines, as the ball fell to Jordan Thewlis roughly six yards from goal, however the midfielder blasted his effort over the bar.

Moments after that, Gloucester got their first chance of the game as Harry Emmett tried to chip Alfreton goalkeeper George Willis, however the City forward saw his effort sail wide of the post. 

Cook’s side found their opener on 26 minutes, as Captain Joe Hanks was quickest to react in the box as he bundled the ball over line after a scramble in the box following a corner.

Things went from bad to worse towards the end of the first half for The Reds as two yellows in a matter of minutes were given to Nathan Newall for pulling back Alefe Santos on two separate occasions, meaning the visitors would play the entire second half a man down. 

Another standout performer on the day was City keeper Zack Jeacock, who produced a brilliant save on the stroke of half time to maintain his side’s lead.

City doubled their lead shortly after the restart thanks to a delightful through ball from Santos which cut open the depleted Alfreton defence and allowed Danny Wright to open up his body and curl a left footed effort past Willis to increase his sides advantage.

Alfreton manager Billy Heath was given his marching orders in the second half after protesting multiple fouls given against his side by referee Liam Corbett, which were deemed to be too aggressive. 

Santos nearly made it the perfect debut as he was played through on goal by substitute Elliott Durrell, however the Brazilian saw his effort blocked by Shaun Brisley.

City ended up getting their third thanks to Brandon Smalley, as the forward showed brilliant composure to take the ball past Willis in the Alfreton net, and roll the ball into an empty goal.

Cook was also shown a yellow card for joining in with his players in the celebrations of that aforementioned goal. 

There was another debut for City in their victory as Bristol City loanee Harry Leeson came on in added time, the defender signed on a month long loan deal earlier in the week.

Victory for City means they climb up to 21st in National League North, only three points from safety. 

Cook’s side will make the trip to top of the league Tamworth on Tuesday night, Alfreton will also host Hereford that same evening.


bottom of page