top of page

Hereford 1-3 Gloucester City

By Elliot Yates

Gloucester City recorded a memorable day at Edgar Street on bank holiday Monday, with a 3-1 win against local rivals Hereford thanks to a double from Tre Mitford and a goal from Matt McClure.

The visitors dominated the early possession, but Hereford had the first chance in the 16th minute, a floated cross found the head of Jethro Hanson but an excellent stop by former Bull Brandon Hall kept him out, with the 'keeper reaching low to his right-hand post.

However, from the resulting corner Hereford took the lead. Aaron Amadi-Holloway pounced on a flicked header to fire the ball into the City net and give the home side an early lead in the 17th minute.

City reacted instantly and got their first chance of the game a minute later. Jack James’ cross picked out Mitford in acres of space, but he saw his resulting header go over the bar.

But five minutes after conceding City found their way back into the game through Matt McClure. Our top scorer so far this season pounced on a Hereford mistake from the back, to finish into an empty net and give City a deserved equaliser and his fifth for the season.

City had a golden chance moments later to go in front in the 34th minute. Another Hereford mistake in defence presented Danny King with an opportunity to put City in front, after Mitford beat the goalkeeper.

Kieran Phillips was also presented an opportunity to put City in front just before half time, lining up for a side foot volley which proved to be no trouble for Brad Wade in the Hereford goal.

City’s relentless pressure was rewarded in the second half. Tre Mitford timed his run perfectly to get in behind the Hereford defence. Mitford then was one on one with goalkeeper Brad Wade and kept his composure to chip the ball over the oncoming keeper and put City into a deserved lead four minutes after the restart, his first goal for the club.

Mitford didn’t stop there and proved to be an annoyance for the Hereford defence nearly adding his second with a stunning scissor kick destined for the top left corner, but goalkeeper Wade stretched his arm out well to prevent him adding a second.

Mid-way through the second period, Hereford nearly capitalised on a Brandon Hall mistake. Substitute Miles Storey had a chance to finish into an empty net, but the City defence proved difficult to get past and a crowded penalty area saw him fire his effort over the bar and into the stands.

Mitford later added his second goal of the day with eight minutes to go. Another perfectly timed run meant he was one on one again and put the ball under the legs of Brad Wade to put City 3-1 up. City then cruised all the way to the end to take three points back to Gloucestershire in a memorable derby win.


bottom of page