top of page

GCAFC 5-1 Farsley

By Sean Beeby

Gloucester City thrashed Farsley Celtic 5-1 on a perfect afternoon at the TigerTurf Stadium for Steven King’s side.

The result puts City fourth in the National League North and move within five points of King's Lynn at the top of the table.

Just seven minutes into the game Farsley striker Euan Mulhern found the back of the net to give the visitors the lead, firing a powerful strike across goal past Brandon Hall.

Ten minutes later and Dom McHale’s deflected strike from the edge of the box and into the bottom left corner saw Gloucester get their deserved equaliser, a debut goal for City’s new signing.

City were forced into two first half substitutions, first coming on the 25-minute mark, with Owen Evans coming on to replace Liam Brockbank, following an ankle injury. Before Ben Morgan was forced off five minutes before half time, with Jack James returning from injury to take his place.

The first half saw many chances for Steven King’s men, but they were unable to take the lead. However it didn’t take long for Gloucester to get the breakthrough in the second half, with Tommy O’Sullivan’s fierce shot from outside the box striking the post, before falling to Matt McClure, who comfortably slotted into an empty net to give City the lead.

City very nearly found another not long after, with Ben Nugent firing a shot at Owen Mason in goal for Farsley, who spilled the save, however Kieran Phillips was unable to get his rebound shot on target from a tight angle.

There was a touching moment in the 58th minute, as the fans paid tribute to former chairman Mike Dunstan, who recently sadly passed away, with one minute’s applause to remember the City legend.

With 20 minutes left on the clock, some excellent link up play between Matt Buse and Kieran Phillips, lead the ball to the feet of Dom McHale, who curled an exquisite strike from the edge of the box into the far corner to give City some breathing space.

Not long after, he was replaced by Tre Mitford following a slight knock, and received a standing ovation from the City supporters following a very impressive debut.

City then found their fourth as Kieran Phillips drove a low and hard shot into the corner to finally get on the scoresheet, after narrowly missing earlier in the second half, and contributing to City’s third.

It only got better for Gloucester as they ran riot even more, with substitute Tre Mitford firing City’s fifth into the bottom left corner, a corner where they scored all four of their second half goals into.

Mitford’s goal topped off what was a brilliant afternoon for City, after going behind early in the game. City fans will be pleased with the performance of the likes of Ben Nugent and Kieran Phillips, as well as a perfect debut for Dom McHale, netting two excellent goals.


bottom of page