top of page

Report: Kidderminster 0-0 City

By Elliot Yates

It finished goalless at Aggborough as City picked up a hard-earned point against a Kidderminster Harriers team in good form and preparing for West Ham United in the FA Cup in a week’s time. Louis Hall made his debut for City after arriving on loan from Newport County two days ago.

Harriers came out the blocks in the early stages. An unbelievable save from Jake Cole tipped Sam Austin’s curling effort onto the crossbar from 30 yards out. Destined for the top corner in the first minute of action played.

Kidderminster kept pushing in the opening 20 minutes. A corner from Sam Austin was met by Mark Carrington beating Jake Cole in the Gloucester City goal but unable to beat Louis Hall who made a goal line headed clearance to keep the score 0-0 in his first appearance.

Our hosts were dominating in possession in the first half and City had only managed to create half chances so far in the first period. Harriers had been awarded a few free kicks but weren’t able to threat the Gloucester City goal.

An underwhelming first half for both teams soon got better as the second half provided a lot more chances for both City and Harriers

The second period began with a free kick given to Harriers from 35 yards. Ashley Hemmings floated the ball onto Matt Preston’s head and just like in the first half Cole tipped it over the crossbar just as it was dipping into the net.

In the 55th minute Matt Green was played in brilliantly by Max Sheaf’s through ball to go one on one with Harriers goalkeeper Luke Simpson. But he came out quick to stop him and as Green tried to put the ball under him the goalkeeper had grasped it into his hands.

Two minutes later Green was played through again. Leadbitter’s low cross on the right-hand side was met by our January signing from ten yards but Simpson denied him for the second time in a matter of minutes

Harriers were playing for set pieces in the second period with Hemmings taking three from that right hand side with the City defence equal to them. Hemmings had a corner swung in from the same side. A flicked header led to a scramble in the box and somehow City kept it out and were able to keep the scores even.

More Harriers pressure was building from their set plays. Another floated ball into the box was headed back to Marcus Dinanga but his effort went well wide of the goal with ten minutes to go.

Another Hemmings free kick was floated in and fell to Harriers captain Sam Austin whose volley was put just wide of the right-hand post with three minutes to go. City had seen the game out with a minute left to play and fought hard in the second half to hold onto a point.

City now face another in-form team in Brackley Town on February 5th at New Meadow Park hoping to build on this great point and fantastic performance.


bottom of page