top of page

Report: Hereford 2-1 City

By Elliot Yates

Gloucester City’s Tuesday night game at Edgar Street ended in a 2-1 defeat against Hereford in the National League North.

Matt Green’s debut goal was cancelled out by two first half goals from Hereford’s Jaani Gordon and Tom Owen-Evans, giving the home side all three points.

Hereford had the majority of possession in the early stages but both teams had chances. City had the first chance of the game. Debutant Matt Green shrugged off his marker and played in Ollie Hulbert who’s shot was blocked after six minutes.

Hereford responded in the 11th minute after good play from Jaanai Gordon on the right-hand side to get a cross into the box. But striker Tom Owen-Evans fired over the bar from ten yards out.

City had a free kick in the 17th minute after Bernard Mensah was fouled just outside the penalty area. Daniel Leadbitter narrowly missed the top left-hand corner, bending the ball around the wall but not able to find the target.

Hereford took the lead in the 22nd minute. Maziar Kouhyar’s curling ball into the area was met by Gordon’s towering header and hit Jake Cole to take the ball over the line and put the home side in front.

Hereford later extended their lead just before half-time. Ryan McClean did well to push Dawson off the ball and cut the ball back to Owen-Evans who’s curling left foot shot from just inside the area arrowed into the top right corner out of Cole’s reach to put the Bulls 2-0 up.

In the second half Hereford continued to further their grip on the game. In the 60th minute, after a scrap to clear the ball away Gordon’s trickling shot looked destined to be going into the bottom corner, but it went just wide of the left-hand post.

Seven minutes later Maizar Kouhyar went on a speedy burst down the wing taking on three Gloucester City players and pulling the trigger from inside the penalty area but Cole denied him and stood tall to parry the ball away to safety.

With frustrations growing for the Tigers mid-way through the half, City were awarded successive free kicks two minutes later. Bernard Mensah stood over the ball 20 yards out for the first one but fired it over the crossbar

City were then awarded a second free kick the ball crossed in from the right-hand side was headed by Matt Green on his debut to put City back in the game with 15 minutes remaining.

They nearly added a second a minute later as Nugent’s half volley went just short of the post.

City continued to press for an equaliser in the remaining stages of the match, but it proved not to be enough, and Hereford were the victors of Tuesday night’s away trip.


bottom of page