top of page

Report: City suffer last minute heartbreak at Southport

Mike Cook’s Gloucester City suffer late heartbreak as Southport leave it late at home to claim 2-1 victory to maintain their unbeaten run.

Southport extended their unbeaten run in the league to six games thanks to a late winner from centre-back Harry Flowers, who nodded in from a corner to give the Sandgrounders all three points.

Brad Holmes opened the scoring just after half time after getting on the end of a superb cross from Keenan Quansah, however City equalised eight minutes later thanks to Harry Williams, after he was quickest to react following a spill from goalkeeper Chris Renshaw.

City manager Mike Cook made four changes from his side that lost 2-0 at home to Chorley last time out as Max Ram, Harry Pinchard, Joe Parker and Brandon Smalley made way for Danny Wright, Elliot Durrell, Harry Emmett and Ty Duffus.

The front two of Williams and Wright allowed City to go long on numerous occasions and helped to gain possession in the Southport half.

The first clear cut chance came to the home side as Mikey O’Neil ran in between two City defenders, but rolled his effort across goal just wide of the post. 

Marcus Carver created another chance on 30 minutes as his inswinging cross was diverted just wide of the far post by Niall Watson.

There was a brief stoppage in play late in the first half due to a problem with the netting in the left goal which meant a fair bit of stoppage was added on before the break. 

Jamie Reckord was a standout performer for Cook’s side on the day, and the full-back came close to opening the scoring with a spectacular outside of the boot effort from the edge of the box that flew just wide of the far post. 

However just 46 seconds after the restart, Southport opened the scoring thanks to a Brad Holmes header which beat Zack Jeacock in the City net, Keenan Quansah supplying the delivery on the right flank. 

City found their equaliser a matter of minutes later, Elliott Durrell and Louis McGrory linking up well on the right hand side, Durrell tried his luck inside the area and Southport shot-stopper Renshaw parried his shot into the feet of Williams who tapped in the rebound.

Following their equaliser, City looked more likely to find the next goal and came close on several occasions, substitute Murphy Bennett with the closest effort as he hit the post from eight yards out, which would have been the youngster’s first senior goal. 

Durrell came off with a knee injury late in the game but was able to walk off unassisted thankfully, as well as captain Joe Hanks, who left the field injured.

Mike Cook’s side will return to the Tiger Turf stadium next weekend to welcome Alfreton Town, and Southport will travel to Peterborough for their next league fixture.


bottom of page