top of page

Report: City 3-3 Chester

City equalise in the 94th minute to take a point after a thrilling 3-3 draw with Chester at New Meadow Park.

Chester flew out the traps and caught the City players off guard, however they were able to regroup and fought hard to salvage a point.

Fabian Robert got City back in the game after going 1-0 down in the 4th minute only for Chester to score two goals in 5 minutes to go 3-1 ahead.

Matt McClure and Lucas Tomlinson provided some quality late on in the second half to ensure City didn’t leave empty handed.

Chester found the back of the net after just 4 minutes when Marcus Dackers cut inside on the edge of the box and fired into the top corner.

Under 10 minutes later, City were back in the game when a cross from Dawson missed everyone in the box, only for Robert to arrive late at the back post to slot the ball home.

In the 18th minute, Chester midfielder Declan Weeks cut inside and drilled a shot into the bottom corner. Moments later, Dackers was able to get a shot off inside the box which deflected and found the back of the net.

City continued to press and after a long throw, Matt Green was able to get a header at goal which hit the bar with no one able to follow up to tap in.

Robert was then substituted in the 35th minute making way for Danny King.

The second half got underway, and City started brightly putting pressure on the Chester defence. Tomlinson received the ball inside the area where he managed to get a shot off which went wide.

After a lengthy period out, Jack James came on for Green in the 66th minute. His energy was glaringly obvious, and he injected a real energy to the team.

With City pushing bodies forward, Chester was able to counter in the 72nd minute bringing a superb save out of Liam Armstrong which would prove to be vital.

Barkers was substituted for McClure in the 77th minute which would prove to be the turning point. Minutes later, McClure slid Tomlinson through on goal where he calmly slid the ball into the bottom corner.

With City pressing for the equaliser, Jordon Thompson fired a shot from the edge of the box which rattled the crossbar. With time running out and the final whistle approaching the City captain, Kevin Dawson, curled a teasing ball into the Chester box where McClure leapt highest to head straight into the top corner.

A great result in the context of the game however a game that Lee Mansell and his men would have undoubtedly expected to win. With the season slowly coming to an end, the next few games are crucial for City. The boy’s face Fylde this weekend with a familiar face making his way back to New Meadow Park.

by Ben Nugent


bottom of page