top of page

Gloucester City narrowly defeated at home 1-0 at the hands of Blyth Spartans MATCH REPORT:

Gloucester City returned to the Tiger Turf this afternoon as Mike Cook’s men narrowly lost to Blyth Spartans thanks to a second half goal from JJ Hooper. 

Cook made three changes from last week's outing against Chester as Alefe Santos, Spencer Hamilton and Elliott Durell came in for Harry Leeson, Teddy Rowe and Max Ram who missed today's fixture through suspension. 

Club captain Spencer Hamilton made his first appearance of the season after a long layoff on the sidelines since picking up an injury in preseason.

A quiet opening five minutes for both sides saw the first chance fall for City as Joe Hanks headed effort from a set piece flew just over the bar.

Spencer Hamilton had a stunning effort narrowly missing the Blyth goal and moments later Elliott Durell tried his luck from just outside the area to no avail. 

Elliott Forbes came close for Blyth from outside the area on 39 minutes but his shot failed to test Jeacock in the City net.

Hanks had another headed effort late in the first half but his effort fell straight to the gloves of Daniel Langley in the Blyth net. 

Ben Beresford came close thanks to a lovely ball fired into the back post by Jamie Reckord, but the young striker could not divert his header goal-bound.

Theo Robinson came on for his City debut as he replaced Beresford in the second half.

Blyth’s JJ Hooper had a driven effort blocked by Reckord in the 68th minute however the resulting corner amounted to nothing. 

Shortly after this Hooper capitalised on miscommunication by the City defence as the striker slotted the ball past Jeacock to give Blyth the lead. 

Teddy Rowe made his first appearance at the Tiger Turf since signing for the club replacing Santos with 20 minutes to go.

Rowe came desperately close to a City equaliser courtesy of a delightful driven cross into the box by Harry Emmett however the forward could only direct his shot straight at Langley in the Blyth net.

Harry Pinchard was next to come closest as his direct free kick sailed just wide of the post.

City continued to push for an equaliser but their efforts were not rewarded as the match finished 1-0 to Jon Shaw.

City remain third from bottom following today's defeat, whilst Blyth climb to tenth place as they aim to close the gaps on the playoff places.

Cook’s side will make the short trip to Oxfordshire to take on Banbury United, and will be back at the Tiger Turf stadium on 3rd February to take on King’s Lynn Town. 


bottom of page