top of page

10 Goals on the day at the TigerTurf stadium as Gloucester City are defeated 7-3 by Boston United: MATCH REPORT

Another tough result for Gloucester City as Mike Cook’s men suffered a 7-3 defeat at home at the hands of Boston United. 

Cook opted for seven changes this afternoon from his rotated side which defeated Roman Glass in the week in the Gloucestershire Senior Challenge Cup as Elliott Durrell, Josh Smile, Teddy Rowe and Ben Beresford were the only three players from Tuesday's team that kept their place.

Boston struck early as Jimmy Knowles got on the end of a tidy through ball in between Elliott Durrell and Ty Duffus to give the visitors an early lead.

The away side made it two goals to the good on 11 minutes as Knowles turned provider as he was played in behind and slid the ball across goal to Kelsey Mooney who slotted home into an empty net.

Durrell was brought off early and was replaced by Louis McGrory in the 16th minute.

Brandon Liggett was shown an early booking for a pull-back on Ethan Sephton, but the resulting set piece amounted to nothing.

24 minutes saw the away side make it 3-0 as Jai Rowe played in Mooney who managed to hold off Liggett and struck across the face of goal past Jared Thompson in the City net.

City got on the scoresheet a few minutes after thanks to a delightful set piece from Joe Hanks as Duffus rose highest.

Boston restored their three goal advantage just a minute later as Mooney completed his hattrick courtesy of a driven cross from Sephton.

Knowles had an opportunity to set up another for Boston but City captain Spencer Hamilton cut out the cross for a corner.

Jai Rowe had a pop shot from 25 yards as the full back drove at the City defence but the full-back flashed his shot wide of Thompson's net.

Theo Robinson cut the deficit to two shortly before half time, as there was a goalmouth scramble following another City corner, and the veteran striker was quickest to react.

Knowles tried to play Adam Marriott through on goal, but his through pass was just too quick for the midfielder.

Harlain Mbayo was a halftime substitute as the defender replaced Liggett at the break.

Marriott had the first clear chance of the second half for either side as Sephton's cross found the midfielder in acres of space, but he couldn't get his header on target.

Ben Beresford cut the deficit to one in the 61st minute from a quick City counter attack, as Brandon Smalley put in a driven cross for the young striker to slot home. 

Robinson tried an audacious effort from over 30 yards out to try and catch Cameron Gregory off his line but his effort sailed over the bar. 

Boston made it 5-3 on the 71st minute as Knowles grabbed his second from a quick counter, Sephton putting the ball across goal as the striker tucked home to get his brace.

The visitors made it 6-3 as Mooney grabbed his fourth as he headed home Richards’ cross with ease.

Keaton Ward came dangerously close as the substitute tried his luck from a narrow angle, but Thompson parried his effort for a corner.

Knowles thought he had his hattrick, but a late conversation between the linesman and official meant the goal was disallowed.

Substitute Michael Gyasi fired an effort towards goal which Thompson saved, but it bounced off Harlain Mbayo as Boston made it seven.

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page