top of page

Gloucester City defeated Braintree Town 3-0 in the Isuzu FA Trophy to reach the third round:

Gloucester City ran out 3-0 winners over Braintree Town as Mike Cook’s side advanced to the third round of the Isuzu FA Trophy.

A second half flurry of goals courtesy of Joe Parker, Ben Beresford and Harry Emmett was more than enough to see Mike Cook’s side advance to the next round.

Cook made five changes to his starting lineup which was defeated 2-0 away to Brackley on Tuesday night as Liam Armstrong, Joe Parker, Danny Wright, Brandon Smalley, and debutant Liam Cross came in for Zach Jeacock, Elliott Durrell, Jamie Reckord, Alefe santos and Ben Beresford.

Parker had the first clear cut chance of the match as the midfielder received the ball from Wright on the counter and struck towards the near post, but couldn't beat Jack Simms in the Braintree net.

Braintree's Aaron Blair came close with a left footed effort after receiving a one two from Gianni Cricklow, however the forward lashed his effort over the bar.

Chances were few and far between for either side in the opening 45, Ben Richards-Everton came close to giving City the lead after being found by Parker at the back post thanks to his set piece delivery, however the defender couldn’t divert his header either side of The Iron keeper.

As the second half got underway, City came out of the gates firing and looking more likely to find an opener against the Essex based side.

A lovely floated ball in by Cross nearly found its way onto Wrights head very early in the second half, however it was just slightly too high for the City number nine.

Gloucester got their breakthrough moments after this in the 52nd after another delivery was put in from a corner from Hanks, which was headed down by Wright and bundled over the line by Parker, his 50th goal for the club.

Cross came desperately close to doubling City's advantage after he latched onto a long ball over the top from Max Ram, opened up his body, but couldn't find a way past Simms.

City captain Hanks had to come off after picking up an injury midway through the second half, the midfielder was replaced by Ben Beresford.

Beresford doubled City's advantage in the 79th minute, after Cross' saved shot fell to Wright, who lifted the ball over the back-tracking Braintree defence, allowing the substitute to head the ball home.

Zach Jeacock had to replace Liam Armstrong for the last few minutes after Armstrong was on the receiving end of a strong challenge from substitute Marvin Herschel.

City added a third in the 86th minute after Beresford had his effort saved, but the ball fell into the path of Brandon Smalley who headed home calmly to seal the victory for Cook’s men. 

Matt Ward came close to adding a consolation goal for Braintree in the 90th minute as the midfielder struck the post from about 25 yards out.

City will find out their third round opponents on Monday November 20.

Cook’s side are back in action at the TigerTurf stadium next weekend against SpennyMoor Town in the league.


bottom of page