Hello guest
Your basket is empty
Gloucester City maintained their place at the top of the National League North with a dominant 4-1 victory against AFC Telford United. 
Telford opened the scoring in the second minute when Dom McHale latched onto a City defensive error and calmly finished past Louie Moulden. 
City were back level ten minutes later as Akwasi Asante calmly converted from the penalty spot and the Tigers number nine doubled their lead in the 60th minute with a driven effort from the edge of the box. 
Bernard Mensah scored a third in the 67th minute with a left footed finish inside the box and then McClure topped off a brilliant performance with a fourth in the 75th minute. 
James Rowe made just one change to the starting eleven with Gavin Gunning replacing Jack James after returning from injury. New signing Danny King was named for the first time on the City bench. 
Telford started fast and took the lead inside the first two minutes as McHale latched onto a defensive mix-up from City and finished calmly past Moulden. 
The early Telford pressure continued and Moulden was forced to make a smart save from a Brendon Daniels free kick just a couple of minutes later. 
City were then awarded a penalty in the 12th minute after a Bernard Mensah cross was adjudged to have struck a Telford hand. Asante stepped up and calmly converted his fourth goal of the season to put City level. 
Brendon Daniels twice went close with a couple of free kicks from the edge of the area. The first was a powerful effort that sailed narrowly wide of the City goal and the second was gathered by Moulden in front of a number of onrushing Telford players. 
Matt McClure then went close in the last minute of the first half with a towering header from a corner. The National League North's top-scorer climbed the highest from a corner, but Russ Griffiths was able to scramble back and tip over the bar. 
City started the second half quickly and Bernard Mensah was denied a long-ranged goal by a smart save from Griffiths in the Telford goal. 
McClure was the next City player to go close, his volleyed effort swerved agonisingly wide and the score remained one apiece. 
The City pressure was overwhelming, and the second goal did eventually come through Asante in the 60th minute. City’s number nine smartly turned and fired through a crowd of bodies into the net to put the Tigers in the lead for the first time. 
Mensah then sealed three points for City with a clinical finish from inside the box in the 67th minute. The City forward-line combined once again to find Mensah free in the box, and he made no mistake in firing past the helpless Telford keeper. 
McClure then scored City’s fourth in the 75th minute with a clever finish from a perfectly placed Dawson cross. 
The score finished 4-1 after a dominant performance that maintained City’s place at the top of the National League North.  
City are next in action against Bradford Park Avenue at home on Saturday in the National League North. The game will be streamed live by GCAFC TV. FREE for season ticket holders and £7.99 for non-season ticket holders. 
Gloucester City starting XI: 19. Moulden 2. Carline 3. Whittle (77) 4. Gunning 5. Daly 7. Dawson 9. Asante (77) 10, McClure 11. Mensah 14. O’Sullivan (65) 23. Morgan 
Substitutes- Lovett, King (77) , Bailey-Nichols (77), Robert, James (65) 
AFC Telford United XI- 1. Griffiths 2. Vaughan 4. Byrne 5. Sutton (C) 7. Hardy (72) 8. Walker 10. Oswell 11. Daniels (45) 14. McHale 17. Lilly 18. Streete 
Substitutes - 13. Rawlins 3. White 18. Bower 15. Davies (45) 12. Barnes-Homer (72) 
Match report Jack Goodridge 
Photos Neil Phelps  
Share this post:
Our site uses cookies. For more information, see our cookie policy. Accept cookies and close
Reject cookies Manage settings