A late Danny Andrew penalty secured Gloucester City their first ever victory in Workington as they ended their winless run in the Blue Square Bet North.\r\n\r\nThe spot kick, won after a superb sprint forward by Steve Davies, was slotted to Joel Dixon’s right and saw the Tigers pick up a deserved three points at Borough Park.\r\n\r\nTruth be told, the game was an ugly affair with minimal attempts for either team. However, with a depleted squad, one fit striker, an overnight stay in Wigan and a 530 mile round trip; Tigers boss David Mehew can be extremely happy with his troops.\r\n\r\nThe contest started rather swiftly as City exploded out of the blocks and almost took the lead after 20 seconds, but Davies’ snatch shot went straight into Dixon’s arms.\r\n\r\nThis was followed on 25 minutes by a Jack Harris header after an in-swinging Andrew corner, but the City midfielder couldn’t contort his head enough to get the ball on target.\r\n\r\nWorkington should’ve taken the lead just before half time, but Gareth Arnison, after beating City’s lacklustre offside trap, failed to get enough height on his chipped effort and was saved easily by Mike Green; a major let off.\r\n\r\nOn a fairly mild day in deepest Cumbria, each side endeavoured to cancel out one another, which resulted in a very lacking second half.\r\n\r\nThe only joy the Tigers seemed to gain was down either flank, and on the hour a deep Harris cross was marginally too high for Davies who came inches from connecting with it.\r\n\r\nAndrew, once again, was causing problems every time he surged forward and his persistence resulted in a few hopeful shots from afar.\r\n\r\nThen came the pivotal moment in the game; Davies, who worked tirelessly in his isolated role up front, tore through the Workington backline and saw hapless defender Dan Wordsworth trip the striker in the box.\r\n\r\nAndrew coolly stepped up and blasted the ball to Dixon’s right for his third goal for the Tigers.\r\n\r\nThe home side piled on the pressure late causing Mehew to play veteran Neil Mustoe for the final few minutes, making his first City league appearance in almost a year.\r\n\r\nHowever, the Tigers had done enough and secured a welcome three points at a ground Mehew earmarked at the start of the season as a main ghost to rest.\r\n\r\nWorkington: J. Dixon, L. Andrews (Cowperthwaite 76), G. Rowntree, P. Johnson, D. Wordsworth, T. Manship (Owusu-Andrews 64), P. McLuckie, D. Hewson, J. Wright, G. Arnison, J. McGee (Boyd 72)\r\n\r\nSubs: A. Taylor\r\n\r\nGloucester City: M. Green, S. Rawlings, D. Andrew, T. Hamblin, C. Holland, T. Webb, L. Hogg (Green 62), J. Harris, S. Davies (Mustoe 85), M. Liddiard, A. Mann (Parker 71)\r\n\r\nSubs: W. Morford\r\n\r\nGoals:  Andrew (p) 84\r\n\r\nAttendance:  356\r\n\r\nStar Man: Steve Davies: The striker worked tirelessly all game and pounced brilliantly to win the penalty.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.