Youth won out over experience as Gloucester City crashed out of the County Cup at the hands of Cheltenham Town.\r\n\r\nA strong Tigers’ side failed to capitalise on a bagful of chances and found Rubies’ keeper Brad Poole a tough act to beat in an entertaining game at Glevum Park.\r\n\r\nMatt Lock’s stunning extra time effort was cancelled out by two more fine goals from Jacob Morgan and Bagsam Graham to seal a Cheltenham victory after almost two hours of football.\r\n\r\nWith Josh Swales as a loan striker the Rubies youngsters struggle to get forward in the first part of the game. City pushed forward but Steve Davies soon found his efforts thwarted by first half Cheltenham skipper Harry Hooman.\r\n\r\nHooman headed an early Gloucester corner, whipped in by Matt Lock, free from danger and the Rubies enjoyed an early break, Michael Gonzalo, Charlie Hitchens and Joe Turley knocking the ball about confidently in midfield.\r\n\r\nExperience City player/coach Neil Mustoe, rolling back the years in midfield, had to track back to cover.\r\n\r\nPoole was forced to save a snapshot from Matt Lock ten minutes in as the home side, playing in their fourth new home in five years, looked for a goal.\r\n\r\nA mazy run from Gonazalo moments later saw Gloucester keeper Chris Humphries get his first bit of match action, grabbing the cross on the edge of the box. Minutes later Bagsan Graham looked to test Humphries further but fired well wide of the post.\r\n\r\nCity’s top scorer Darren Edwards fluffed a chance to improve his tally on 21minutes, played in by Davies with just Poole to beat he conspired to knock the ball past the wrong side of the post.\r\n\r\nThree minutes later Graham beat City captain Tom Webb in midfield and waltzed up the wing, firing the ball across to Swales who had his chance to shoot stopped by Mike Green.\r\n\r\nMatt Williams looked to have beaten Humphries from Cheltenham’s first corner on the half hour mark but it was chalked off for a foul in the box.\r\n\r\nAs the first half drew to a close Poole, who had been taught PE just up the road from Glevum Park by Tigers’ skipper Tom Webb, stretched for an important save to stop another Edwards shot.\r\n\r\nGraham headed the ball over the bar after leaping to collect an Owen Donaghue cross as the first half ended all square.\r\n\r\nCity started the second half with energy, young George Lloyd slamming a shot past Poole only to see it saved by the post on 51 minutes.\r\n\r\nCity youth player Kieron Mace, starting in the Tigers’ experienced back line lept high to head a ball just over the bar ten minutes later.\r\n\r\nSecond half Rubies skipper Kieron Thomas was booked for a crunching tackle on Will Morford and City awarded a free kick 40 yards out on the left, taken by Lock and cleared confidently by the young Rubies defence.\r\n\r\nTurley, battling with Matt Coupe in midfield, saw his opposite number booked for a shirt pull on 75 minutes as the stalemate continued.\r\n\r\nCity peppered the Cheltenham box with crosses but Poole held firm, saving a shot from Lock and a diving header from Coupe within minutes of each other.\r\n\r\nThomas himself had an effort saved off the line at the other end moments later as extra time drew nearer.\r\n\r\nGoalless after 90 minutes the goals didn’t take long to show after an extra 30 minute were added to the clock.\r\n\r\nFirst Lock whipped a showstopper into the top corner, Poole unable to stretch past far enough to reach.\r\n\r\nFour minutes later Jacob Morgan drew the scores level, flicking the ball past Humphries.\r\n\r\nBack to stalemate again City saw two goals disallowed, Morford’s for being a yard offside and Mullings for handball after Davies thunderball cross connected with the City midfielder’s arm at high speed.\r\n\r\nWith both sides beginning to look heavy legged the youth of the Cheltenham side began to be an advantage. Zack Kotwica, another former pupil of Tom Webb, looked strong at the back, clearing a ball upfield allowing Graham to hare away and put the visitors ahead on 113 minutes, scoring from a tight angle past Humphries.\r\n\r\nCity had a prime chance for an equaliser as the clock counted down from a Matt Lock corner. Matt Coupe diving low for a header, the ball blocked by Poole appeared to hang in the air as City’s night of wasted opportunities ended in defeat.\r\n\r\nFT AET: Gloucester City: 1 (Lock 93)\r\nCheltenham Town: 2 (Morgan 97, Graham 113)\r\n\r\nGloucester City: Humphries, Green, Rawlings, Mace, Rose (Coupe 46 YC), Webb (Morford 46), Lock YC, Mustoe, Edwards, Davies, Lloyd (Mullings ). Subs: Parker, James\r\n\r\nCheltenham Town XI: Poole; Thomas YC, Hooman (Kotwica 46), Williams, Gonzalo; Turley, Hanks (Morgan 69) Hitchings, Graham; Swales, Donaghue. Subs: Hitchman, Knightly, Reaney\r\n\r\nStar men: Brad Poole (Cheltenham) Kieron Mace (Gloucester)\r\n\r\nAtt: 160

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.