Gloucester City made it back-to-back wins thanks to Noah Smerdon’s second half strike as they edged out Dulwich Hamlet at Imperial Fields.

Smerdon capitalised on a poor error from the Hamlet keeper two minutes into the second-half, and it proved to be enough as the Tigers survived some late pressure to seal back-to-back wins for the first time this season.

City started the game well, putting the home side under plenty of pressure and almost took an early lead when a short corner from Smerdon found its way to Joe Parker, but the forwards glancing header was comfortably saved.

But the hosts began to create their fair share of chances as they started to take control as the half went on. Dipo Akinyemi was a real threat and had their best chance of the half when wasted a great opportunity, when his shot on the turn, went well wide.

City, however, would have been disappointed not to go into the break with the lead, wasting a series of great chances.

Parker once again was denied by Edward, but not before the inform keeper produced a fantastic save to deny Ben Seymour, tipping his effort over the bar.

Marc Richards’ men started the second-half just like the first, on the front foot.

And they were immediately rewarded, when they found the breakthrough, Edward failed to deal with the City corner, resulting in an easy tap-in for Smerdon.

City continued to grow in confidence and almost doubled the lead minutes later when Seymour saw his strike well saved.

The home crowd tried their best to rally their side, but City remained resolute in defence, whilst continuing to be a threat going forward.

Smerdon, who had been impressive all afternoon, almost grabbed his second, with a brilliant curling effort that almost beat Edward, forcing the Hamlet keeper to produce another good save.

The hosts began to throw bodies forward late on in search of an equaliser, Yates was called into action on few occasions and made some decent saves to keep City in front.

But despite the late pressure from the home side, City held on for a well-earned three points.

Man of the Match: Smerdon


Yates, Kelly, Smerdon (Hamilton 87), Williams, Avery (c), Edge, Parker, Hanks, Seymour (Lawrence 82), Liddiard, Page

Subs Not Used:

Deaman, Morford, Mawford

Referee: Wayne Cartmel

Attendance: 742

Next up for the Tigers, they host Torquay United on Monday, 3pm KO.

For more Post-match reaction:

You can follow us for regular updates via the club’s Twitter feed or Facebook page.

Post-match reaction will be available on the YouTube channel as well as the club website.

By Harry Hogg

Twitter: @HazHogg


Comments are closed.