A late, heartbreaking free-kick from Karl Clair condemned Gloucester City to a demoralising defeat away to Vauxhall Motors, and pushed them to the bottom of the Skrill North table.\r\n\r\nChances kept passing by as City bossed the second half at Rivacre Park, but as Clair’s sumptuous shot nestled into the back of Mike Green’s net, City’s relegation threatened campaign became all too real.\r\n\r\nDarren Edwards and Darren Mullings had levelled the game after a frenetic 16-minute first-half spell produced four goals, cancelling out Stephen Tames and Louis Barnes’ goals for the hosts, although Vauxhall could bemoan two attempts off the woodwork too.\r\n\r\nLoan signing’s Conor Waldon and Kyrtis MacKenzie, as well as Mullings and Jack Harris all had decent attempts in a promising second period display from Dave Mehew’s men, only for Clair’s late body blow to knock the Tigers for the count.\r\n\r\nIt had started with the Tigers warming up a bitterly cold afternoon as Waldon forced a smart save from Zac Jones after 43 seconds.\r\n\r\nLloyd Ellams saw his strong effort smash off the woodwork minutes later as Vauxhall looked for an opener.\r\n\r\nThe breakthrough was made soon after as Matt Kosylo breezed down the left side of the Tigers backline, cut back to Tames who calmly caressed past Green to break the deadlock.\r\n\r\nEllams, who was enjoying a lot of freedom in the early goings, saw a second attempt smash off the woodwork after a delicious effort from outside of the box.\r\n\r\nWith City riding their luck, they strided forward and a searching ball found Edwards who nonchalantly tucked home for an equaliser.\r\n\r\nImmediately after the restart, Tames played in Barnes who shot fiercely past Green into the bottom corner for re-established their advantage.\r\n\r\nThe crazy ebb-and-flow continued three minutes later as Mullings unleashed a sublime half-volley past the hapless Jones for a fourth strike in the game.\r\n\r\nThe game was all to play for as the second period began in earnest, loanee MacKenzie registering the first shot with a dipping effort just sailing over the Vauxhall crossbar.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers ramped up the pressure as Mullings struck a true shot a foot wide of Jones’ goal as neat interplay from Jordan Goddard and Matt Groves.\r\n\r\nCity kept on coming as Waldon was immensely unlucky as a dodgy bounce of the ball saw the Swindon Town youth star miss-hit in the six-yard box.\r\n\r\nAlthough City were dominating possession and having the better opportunities, Vauxhall had two superb efforts saved by Green as Clair and Barnes were denied by the City goalkeeper in quick succession.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers continued their assault with Harris shooting from distance followed by a flying Mullings header that was saved well by Jones after Groves had knocked in a perfect cross.\r\n\r\nWith City on top, Vauxhall pushed forward and Ellams was felled on the edge of the Tigers penalty area; and as the theme seems to be going recently, Clair produced a stunning late free kick.\r\n\r\nMehew pushed on Scott Wilson, Matt Liddiard and Will Morford in vain, but time had run out for the Tigers.\r\n\r\nVauxhall Motors:  Z. Jones, D. Fearnehough, L. Barnes, T. Hannigan, A. Nicholas, C. Noone, T. Rutter, K. Clair, S. Tames, L. Ellams, M. Kosylo\r\n\r\nSubs not used: A. Stott, A. Hughes, K. Noon, S. Wainwright, C. Ellison\r\n\r\nGoals: Tames 13, Barnes 26, Clair 86\r\n\r\nGloucester City: M. Green, M. Green, K. MacKenzie, M. Coupe, J. Harris, T. Webb (Liddiard 86), J. Goddard, D. Mullings, D. Edwards (Wilson 86), C. Waldon (Morford 86), M. Groves\r\n\r\nSubs not used: J. Parker, D. Haile\r\n\r\nGoals:  Edwards 25, Mullings 29

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.