Gloucester City completed a remarkable second half comeback as they fought from 2-0 down as a late equaliser from Joshua Cooke saw City claim a valuable away point.\r\n\r\nThe game started brightly with both sides having early chances. A glancing header from Jonté Smith was well saved by James Belshaw before Tom Hadler was forced to tip a Sam Avery header onto the post.\r\n\r\nObi Anoruo then latched onto a brilliant ball from Joe Hanks and beat Belshaw with the shot that cannoned off the outside of the post and away.\r\n\r\nHanks tried a speculative volley from 20 yards that was never troubling Belshaw, who calmly collected down to his right.\r\n\r\nBelshaw was in action once more, this time producing a great stop from an impressive effort from Smith.\r\n\r\nAs the first half wore on the Tigers began to stamp their foot on the game. Patient build up play from City saw James Bowen eventually fire a shot a few yards over.\r\n\r\nAgainst the run of play though, Tamworth had the lead. A great save from on loan Gillingham goalkeeper Tom Hadler from close range was followed in by Dan Preston to easily tap home from close range.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers then capitulated and the Lambs had their second. A lack of communication between Hamilton and Williams at the back led to the ball falling to Danny Racchi who calmly finished.\r\n\r\nWith both teams unchanged for the second half it was City who started the brightest and they had a penalty 10 minutes after the break.\r\n\r\nHamilton did well to reach the byline and was brought down by Warlow. Smith stepped up confidently and buried the penalty the other side of Belshaw to give City hope.\r\n\r\nDanny Newton raced through soon after but Sam Avery did well to shepherd him wide and in the end Newton’s strike could have done with some extra gravity on it as it sailed over.\r\n\r\nJames Bowen had chance with a header from the edge of the box that saw Belshaw rooted to the spot but it went marginally wide.\r\n\r\nIn a second half with not many clear cut chances to speak of, City finally completed their remarkable comeback to send the travelling fans into raptures.\r\n\r\nStand out performer Smith got to the byline before teeing it up on a plate for Joshua Cooke to fire home from 12 yards, with Belshaw not able to hold onto it.\r\n\r\nFor just the second time this season the Tigers scored more than once in a game as they claim a valuable away point to distance themselves from the bottom three.\r\n\r\nTamworth: Belshaw, Burns, Warlow, Racchi, Tomassen, Preston, Durrell (Morrell 86’), Clarke, Newton (Dyer 65’), Mettam (Roberts 77’), Green (capt)\r\n\r\nSubs: Strong, Davies\r\n\r\nGloucester City: Hadler, Hamilton, Jones, Williams (capt), Avery, Knowles, Bowen (Hall 71’), Webb, Anoruo (Cooke 32’), Smith, Hanks (Orenuga 66’)\r\n\r\nSubs: Miller, Richards\r\n\r\nReferee: W. Smallwood\r\n\r\nAttendance: 759\r\n\r\nStar man: Tom Webb

Comments are closed.