It was last minute heartbreak for Gloucester City as Kayden Jackson’s 93rd minute winner denied the Tigers a deserved point at Tamworth.\r\n\r\nA lucky break in a goalmouth melee found the striker with space to tap home the winner when the Tigers looked good for a point following Matt Groves’ superb equaliser.\r\n\r\nDavid Hibbert opened the scoring with a miniscule touch of the ball diverting the ball away from Mike Green into the back of the net.\r\n\r\nOn a bizarre evening, both sides had to endure a 49 minute half-time break as the floodlights at the Lamb Ground suffered from an electrical fault.\r\n\r\nTamworth began the stronger on a chilly evening with Jackson skipping past a challenge and drilling wide.\r\n\r\nMike Green was called into action shortly after with Lambs captain Paul Green manoeuvring an unorthodox header goalwards for the Tigers keeper to tip over.\r\n\r\nCity’s first two attempts at goal came via both Billy and Chris Jones, firstly the two combining for the latter to head wide, followed by the former unleashing a trademark free-kick into the side netting.\r\n\r\nScott Wilson was a nuisance up top but his first real sight at goal was a tame effort into the arms of James Belshaw.\r\n\r\nBut, against the run of play Tamworth went ahead with Robert Purdie’s speculative cross was flashed in by Hibbert for the lead.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers attempted to hit back immediately as Adam Mann rode two challenges brilliantly but his strong effort was well held by Belshaw.\r\n\r\nFrom that, the Lambs broke forward with intent, a superb team move ended with defender Shane Clarke poking an effort directly onto the foot of the post for Mark Preece to clear to safety.\r\n\r\nAfter a floodlight electrical failure during the half-time break, it meant a near 50 minute stoppage for both sides to endure as local electricians fixed the issue.\r\n\r\nThe long gap gave the Tigers the impetus as they burst out with Belshaw excellently tipping over Jones’ free-kick and stopped Groves’ thunderbolt from the right.\r\n\r\nCity’s intense pressing football finally paid off, the introduction of Charlie Griffin proved the catalyst as his movement in the area allowed Groves space to turn and shoot fantastically into the far corner, Sam Avery with a top assist.\r\n\r\nIt was all City, Griffin coming close with a half-volley blazing past the post and Belshaw coming to the rescue denying Groves again.\r\n\r\nWith 10 minutes remaining, Gloucester survived an intense goal-line scramble clearing away three times before a final heroic block eventually cleared the ball to safety.\r\n\r\nHowever, with the last kick of the game, a free-kick came deep into the Tigers area, bundled around in the box only to fall to Jackson’s feet two yards out who tapped home a harsh winner for the Lambs.\r\n\r\nTamworth: J. Belshaw, P. Green, L. Hildreth, S. Clarke (K. Thornton 70), D. Preston, R. Purdie, B. Daniels (P. Trainer 78), D. Sleath, D. Hibbert, L. Mettam (C. Taylor 84), K. Jackson\r\n\r\nSubs not used: D. Simmonds, J. Adams\r\n\r\nGoals: Hibbert 32, Jackson 90+3\r\n\r\nGloucester City: M. Green, S. Avery, B. Jones, M. Preece, M. Williams, A. Connolly, M. Richards, C. Jones, S. Wilson (M. Groves 45), A. Mann, M. Green (C. Griffin 65)\r\n\r\nSubs not used: S. Hamilton, E. Chamberlain, T. Webb\r\n\r\nGoals: Groves 67\r\n\r\nAttendance: 665

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.