A last gasp winner from Matt Groves secured Gloucester City victory in a feisty encounter against Southern League side Swindon Supermarine.\r\n\r\nThe combination of the newly signed City attackers Scott Wilson and Groves paid dividends with the pair combining with time running out to seal the win.\r\n\r\nDarren Edwards had a goal disallowed midway through the second half, but it proved not to change of the outcome of the game in the end.\r\n\r\nIt was a tetchy affair with both Tyler Weir and Lewis Hogg booked, and with tackles flying in from all angles, it was a friendly in name only.\r\n\r\nCity manager Dave Mehew gave a trial to ex-Arsenal youth starlet Jamie Edge, who impressed throughout the contest with a composed display.\r\n\r\nIt was City who did start the better and the duo of Groves and Wilson combined in the eighth minute, but Groves’ final effort proved lacking.\r\n\r\nSupermarine came very close after 23 minutes when Craig Curtis took a chance effort from 25 yards out, and Sparrow could only watch as the shot clipped the outside of the woodwork.\r\n\r\nRob Dean proved to be a thorn in the side for the City backline, but his effort sped across the middle of the area evading his teammates.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers picked up a couple minor injuries either side of the break with Jack Harris acquiring a slight hamstring knock, and his replacement Ryan Batten tweaking his knee in a challenge.\r\n\r\nWith the introduction of Tom Webb, City looked a much brighter force and almost immediately Webb found Groves who crossed into Wilson, but the teenager blazed his header over the bar.\r\n\r\nWilson looked to prove a point as he continued to torment the left hand side of the Supermarine defence and after skinning a defender, found Darren Edwards in the centre but the City number nine blasted his shot over the bar.\r\n\r\nOnly a superb stop from Swindon goalkeeper Kent Kauppinnen denied Wilson minutes later, which the rebound crossed to the back post where Groves couldn’t convert.\r\n\r\nOn 70 minutes, Edwards had the ball in the back of the net after Groves had played the striker in, but much to the chagrin of the ex-Bath City man, the linesman’s flag was raised.\r\n\r\nThe tempo was raised even more heading into the final five minutes and after a delicious knock forward from Tyler Weir found City Youth product Sam Turl, the youngster was denied by a cracking save from Kauppinnen.\r\n\r\nCity was awarded a free kick late on, but Edge failed to make his mark as the shot sailed inches over the crossbar.\r\n\r\nThen, finally came the breakthrough; Wilson sprinted down the right, jinked through the defence to find Groves lurking at the near post who poked home from close range to snatch the win.\r\n\r\nSwindon Supermarine: K. Kauppinnen, K. Lapham, D. Allen, C. Curtis, D. Bampton (Brown 62), S. Morris (Etheridge 8 (Blackford 80)), D. Hinder (Wrona 62), R. Dean, A.Edenborough (Wallington 62), B. Whitehead (Abrahart 62), J. Morse\r\n\r\nGloucester City: S. Sparrow (Green 66), S. Rawlings, T. Weir, M. Coupe, J. Harris (Batten 37 (Turl 48)), M. Liddiard (Webb 45), L. Hogg, J. Edge, D. Edwards, S. Wilson, M. Groves\r\n\r\nSubs Not Used: M. Green, J. Parker\r\n\r\nGoals: Groves 89

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.