A late goal from Chris Simm was enough to see off Gloucester City at Bower Fold, despite the Tigers dominating for large periods of the game.\r\n\r\nThe first chance of the game came in the opening minute as Dale Wright tried an ambitious volley from the edge of the box that was well blocked by Adam Connolly.\r\n\r\nThe match had started at a lightning pace. Obi Anoruo showed a clean set of heels to Matty Hughes, but Tony McMillan stopped the 1-on-1 superbly.\r\n\r\nAnoruo was causing problems for his former team early on as Joe Parker played the ball into the right hand channel for the City striker to chase, but the lively forward could only drag his shot across goal and wide.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers had the ball in the net through Anoruo following a deflection on a Joe Parker shot, but it was rather contentiously ruled out for offside.\r\n\r\nWith City on the front foot, Stalybridge Celtic nearly grabbed a goal against the run of play. Aidan Chippendale found himself in space with only Singh to beat, but he pulled his effort five yards wide of the target.\r\n\r\nThe ball was in the net once more but once again it was ruled out for offside. This time Jack Higgins thought he’d put Celtic in front from a cross but the linesman’s flag was raised.\r\n\r\nBoth teams were pressing for the breakthrough and it was Celtic that came close on the half hour. A Jack Higgins header cannoned off the crossbar with Singh stranded in no man’s land.\r\n\r\nThe second period started slower than the one before and the first chance fell to Mat Liddiard who struck an off balance shot just wide\r\n\r\nConnor Thompson was looking dangerous and the winger went close as he skipped past one defender but could only fire his effort just wide.\r\n\r\nThe game really opened up into an end to end affair. Adam Connolly blocked a Dale Wright shot in the 6 yard box before Matty Hughes reciprocated from a Liddiard strike.\r\n\r\nBilly Jones tried a speculative effort from the half way line after seeing McMillan well out of his goal, but the Celtic ‘keeper scurried backwards to collect easily in the end.\r\n\r\nJones was in the thick of it again as he played a peach of a ball in from a free kick, but Matt Williams could only head it onto the roof of the net.\r\n\r\nAfter a whole host of City chances, Stalybridge finally had the breakthrough as Chris Simm arrived unmarked at the back post to slot past Singh with consummate ease.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers nearly had one back as Harry White beat four men with a mazing run but could only strike straight into the arms of McMillan.\r\n\r\nStalybridge Celtic: McMillan, Wylie, Chippendale, Hughes (capt), Higgins, Shaw, Dixon, Wright, Farrell (Simm 60’), Tames (McKenna 60’), Chalmers (Johnson 60’)\r\n\r\nSubs: Crowley, Lingouba\r\n\r\nGloucester City: Singh, Hamilton, Jones, Williams (capt), Avery, Connolly, Liddiard, Thompson, Anoruo (White 63’), Symons, Parker (Hall 81’)\r\n\r\nSubs: Hicks, Green, Richards\r\n\r\nReferee: J. Hunt\r\n\r\nAttendance: 480\r\n\r\nStar man: Billy Jones (Gloucester)

Comments are closed.