A dubious red card for Gloucester City goalkeeper Jasbir Singh set an ominous tone for the match as the Tigers bowed out of the FA Cup 2-1 away at Staines Town, writes Kelsey De Maria.\r\n\r\nThe first chance of the tie came after Luke Wanadio flashed the ball across the face of the goal but nobody was there to latch onto it and tap home.\r\n\r\nIn a half of few chances, City should have taken the lead when Matt Williams found himself completely unmarked from a corner and his header was superbly tipped over by Jack Turner.\r\n\r\nCity were down to 10 men moments later as Jasbir Singh was shown a straight red after he brought down Wanadio in the penalty box in a very contentious decision.\r\n\r\nStaines striker Pat Cox stepped up to face sub ‘keeper Phillip Clarke – who is on dual registration with Gloucester City and Staines – and sent Clarke the wrong way.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers had it all to do and were very unlucky when Femi Orenuga put a brilliant cross towards the back post towards Chris Knowles, but the ball was flicked away from Knowles who would have surely scored.\r\n\r\nStaines had a red card of their own soon after. A mazy run from Cheltenham Town loanee James Bowen was seen out of play with no issues.\r\n\r\nHowever a moment of madness from Prince M’Bengui saw the Swans’ winger viciously lash out at Bowen and was given his marching orders by referee Carl Brook.\r\n\r\nChris Knowles had the first effort of the second half as he picked the ball up from 30 yards out and volleyed well over.\r\n\r\nCity were desperately trying to find an equaliser but Tom Webb’s left footed strike sailed well over the stand behind the goal.\r\n\r\nPhilip Clarke denied the ever dangerous Wanadio with a wonderful save down low to his right hand side.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers were finally back on level terms when Bermuda international Jonté Smith finished off a well worked team move that started with Clarke in goal.\r\n\r\nStaines received a dubious free kick on the corner of the box that was met by Cox but it was never troubling Clarke.\r\n\r\nThe Swans had the winner with two minutes left on the clock as Pat Cox headed home at the back post after City failed to clear a corner.\r\n\r\nDespite sending everyone forward at the end in a desperate attempt to get something back, it was not to be and City bow out of the FA Cup in the 4th Qualifying Round for the second year running.\r\n\r\nStaines Town: Turner (capt), Felix, Bennett, Lodge, Gough, Brewer, Wanadio, Abdulla, Cox, Hutchinson (Boakye 79’), M’Bengui\r\n\r\nSubs: Kalu, Churchill (GK), Vancooten, Thomas, McAllister, O’Cearuill\r\n\r\nGloucester City: Singh, Green, Bowen, Williams (capt), Avery, Knowles (Miller 71’), Hanks (Symons 46’), Webb, Cooke (Clarke (GK) 25’), Smith, Orenuga\r\n\r\nSubs: Liddiard, Hamilton, Hall, Anoruo\r\n\r\nReferee: Cark Brook\r\n\r\nStar man: Sam Avery

Comments are closed.