Gloucester City moved deeper in a relegation battle with a poor defeat away to Oxford City.\r\n\r\nTom Winters goal in the sixth minute of the game sealed victory in a scrappy game played on a pitch that harked back to football’s yesteryears.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers controlled the entire second half with chance after chance, but the ball wouldn’t find the net, after Oxford had dominated during the early goings.\r\n\r\nMike Symons, formerly of the Tigers, smashed a shot against the crossbar late on but it was only the single goal, yet again, that saw City drop further into a dogfight.\r\n\r\nOxford City had burst into action in the first minute with Kayden Jackson dancing through the City defence and forced a superb stop out of Mike Green.\r\n\r\nWith a second wave of attacks coming forward, Tom Winters was left free on the edge of the 18-yard box to whip a shot inches wide of Green’s post.\r\n\r\nThen, on six minutes they made the early pressure count with Winters in acres of space on the City right to smash home from 20 yards; a poor start for Dave Mehew’s team.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers continued and live dangerously and were riding their luck after a looping header from deep struck the crossbar, followed by ex-City striker Mike Symons heading across goal for Jack Harris to clear off the line.\r\n\r\nAfter being under the cosh for the opening 20 minutes, City started to gain momentum and after Matt Groves skipped down the left, the winger knocked across a teasing ball that Zack Kotwica latched onto to force a stunning save from Scott.\r\n\r\nIt was Kotwica again shortly afterwards but a poor touch at the crucial moment saw Scott have ample time to close down the Cheltenham Town loanee.\r\n\r\nAs the second half began, the Tigers knew that only a big performance would suffice.\r\n\r\nAfter a period of pressure, a header into the area found Matt Groves who popped up with a chance at the back post, only for Chris Wilmott to block at the perfect moment.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers continued their assault consistently and Lewis Hogg came close with an audacious scissor kick effort from 30 yards just bouncing wide of the upright.\r\n\r\nCity kept on pressing, with corner after corner, the best chance seeing Matt Coupe rising highest to head wide.\r\n\r\nA big handball shout in the area was turned down for City and Oxford broke forward at speed resulting in substitute Mike Pook shooting over the bar.\r\n\r\nEx-Tigers striker Symons then picked the ball up from 25-yards out and smashed his effort against the crossbar.\r\n\r\nJoe Parker had an opportunity saved late into injury time as time ran out, leaving City in dire need of a result in the near future to boost a floundering season.\r\n\r\nOxford City:  M. Scott, A. Ballard, P. Stonehouse, D. Benjamin (Pook 68), A. Learoyd, C. Wilmott, K. Jackson (Cook 84), L. Malone (Palmer 90), M. Symons, D. Pond, T. Winters\r\n\r\nGoals: Winters 6\r\n\r\nGloucester City: M. Green, M. Green, D. Haile, M. Coupe, J. Harris, M. Liddiard, Z. Kotwica (Parker 65), L. Hogg, W. Morford, C. Waldon (Wilson 65), M. Groves (Edwards 78)\r\n\r\nSubs not used: N.Phillips, N. Mustoe

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.