Controversy reigned as Gloucester City were denied victory by a contentious and bizarre North Ferriby United second half equaliser.\r\n\r\nFormer Cheltenham Town striker Tom Denton headed home after a Nathan Jarman cross, which was seemingly over the line by a clear distance.\r\n\r\nHowever, the goal was awarded to the complete bemusement of the Villagers striker and disbelieving City players and management who were left fuming at the final whistle.\r\n\r\nJarman had opened the scoring with a fortuitous finish but a storming Mark Preece header and a quality goal from Adam Mann had put the Tigers ahead against the promotion candidates, before the controversial equaliser.\r\n\r\nAdam Bolder was dismissed late on for the Villagers but City couldn’t find a winner during the five minutes of injury time.\r\n\r\nIt was almost a dream start for Tim Harris’s side with only a breathtaking save from Adam Nicklin  tipping Sam Avery’s bullet header over the crossbar.\r\n\r\nNorth Ferriby began to control the contest as Dan Clayton caused Mike Green some issues at the near post, before Denton headed the ball onto the crossbar.\r\n\r\nThe first goal came shortly after with Jarman’s powerful effort deflected heavily by Williams away from the Tigers keeper for an unlucky opener for the East Yorkshire outfit.\r\n\r\nHarris’ men replied in under a minute through the head of Preece, after a trademark ball into the area by captain Billy Jones, which nestled nicely into the Ferriby net.\r\n\r\nIt was soon two for the Tigers as Marc Richards played a sublime throughball into the path of Mann who saw his first attempt saved but tucked home the rebound for the lead.\r\n\r\nThe City striker almost got another with his effort from 20 yards shaving the outside of the post.\r\n\r\nJust before the break Matt Wilson should’ve done better for the East Yorkshire side as he knocked a free header over the woodwork.\r\n\r\nEntering the second half the game became noticeably more tempestuous as a strong tackle by the Tigers captain Jones caused a melee that saw himself, Williams and Preece all booked.\r\n\r\nThen came Ferriby’s bizarre equaliser, as the ball, clearly over the line, was crossed into Denton who took the chance well; however it seemed simply in vain according to the player reactions from both teams.\r\n\r\nReferee David Richardson then awarded the goal after consultation with his linesman as the North Ferriby players realised the equaliser had been given as confusion swept over the Eon Visual Media Stadium and City were left to rue the decision.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers looked for a winner with Adam Connolly half-volleying wide and Tom Webb seeing a shot blocked en route to goal by Nathan Peat.\r\n\r\nThere was more controversy heading into injury time as Bolder was red carded for a studs up tackle on Connolly, but City couldn’t capitalise as the content petered out into a draw.\r\n\r\nNorth Ferriby United: A. Nicklin, D. Lisles, N. Peat, L. King, M. Wilson, G. Anderson, D. Emerton, J. D’Laryea (A. Bolder 52), T. Denton, N. Jarman, D. Clayton (R. Fry 52)\r\n\r\nSubs not used: M. Gray, A. Pecora, J. Wilde\r\n\r\nGoals: Jarman 19, Denton 65\r\n\r\nGloucester City: M. Green, S. Avery, B. Jones, M. Preece, M. Williams, A. Connolly, M. Richards, C. Jones (C. Griffin 78), M. Groves, A. Mann, M. Green (T. Webb 84)\r\n\r\nSubs not used: S. Hamilton, C. Griffin, E. Chamberlain, T. Webb, S. Wilson\r\n\r\nGoals: Preece 20, Mann 33\r\n\r\nAttendance: 284

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.