A goal for debutant Harry White capped off a stunning away victory for Gloucester City on the east coast.\r\n\r\nWhite’s header in the 89th minute added gloss after Matt Groves and a wondrous Billy Jones free-kick secured the Tigers’ second Vanarama North victory of the season.\r\n\r\nThe City defence, so often maligned for its leakiness, stood firm with youngsters Spencer Hamilton and Matt Williams coping with Lowestoft’s experienced forward line with consummate ease.\r\n\r\nOn a balmy day in England’s most easterly town, Lowestoft’s Adam Smith had the first opportunity with a shot at goal, whilst slipping, that Tigers keeper Jamie Stephens collected easily.\r\n\r\nEvenly matched throughout the opening 25 minutes, a low sun and bobbly pitch made any real football difficult for both teams.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers enjoyed their best chances from the set pieces of Billy Jones and George Miller, causing problems in the Lowestoft defence on every occasion.\r\n\r\nNathan Modest fired well over the crossbar, before a minute later stealing the ball off Jack Ainsley in the corner, running into the area and blasting low into Jake Jessup who pushed away.\r\n\r\nThe tried and tested method kept working as Adam Mann flicked on at the near post, only for Jessup to collect.\r\n\r\nJamie Stephens was called into action with two superb pieces of goalkeeping, firstly saving from close range after Jake Reed had peeled off at the back post, then diving at Shaun Bammant’s feet as he was closing in.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers began the second period in control as Joe Parker beat Rickie Hayles for pace, but it was a tame final effort from the Newport County loanee.\r\n\r\nParker was a nuisance again, almost causing an embarrassing moment for Lowestoft keeper Jessup who only just cleared, via the midriff of the young striker.\r\n\r\nThe Crown Meadow side looked threatening, camping themselves in the Tigers half for a good 10 minutes, but couldn’t force any real chance at goal.\r\n\r\nThey paid the price as the Tigers took the lead; Modest nicking the ball off captain Dan Gleeson, speeding into the area to knock across to substitute Groves who calmly finished into the bottom corner.\r\n\r\nLowestoft brought on the reinforcements and threatened with two real opportunities, firstly Lee Smith blasting over at the back post, then Jefferson Louis quickly turning and forcing a stupendous save from Stephens.\r\n\r\nHowever, Billy Jones put the game out of reach with a stunning free-kick on the right.\r\n\r\nThen, in the final minute of normal time, debutant White headed home to make sure the long trip back to Gloucestershire was a memorable one.\r\n\r\nLowestoft Town:  J. Jessup, J. Ainsley, C. Haynes-Brown, D. Radomski, D. Gleeson, R. Hayles, L. Smith, R. Jarvis, J.Reed, S. Bammant (J. Louis 70), A. Smith (R. Eagle 70)\r\n\r\nSubs not used: J. Zielonka, J. Marsden, A. Jones\r\n\r\nGloucester City: J. Stephens, S. Avery, B. Jones, S. Hamilton, M. Williams, A. Connolly, G. Miller, T. Webb, J. Parker (M. Groves 57), A. Mann (H. White 77), N. Modest (M. Green 85)\r\n\r\nSubs not used: M. Richards, C. Jones\r\n\r\nGoals: Groves 64, Jones 82, White 89\r\n\r\nAttendance: 664

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.