Former Aston Villa striker Stefan Moore scored a hat-trick on an evening to forget for Gloucester City at Leamington.\r\n\r\nThe heavy defeat at the New Windmill Ground was compounded by a unfortunate Mark Preece own goal seconds before the end of the first half and an unbelievable miss from top scorer Charlie Griffin whilst one down.\r\n\r\nAdam Connolly notched his first goal in Tigers colours, but it was a small footnote on a discouraging evening for City manager Tim Harris, who saw his sides five match unbeaten run go up in smoke.\r\n\r\nHarris’ men paid the price for not taking advantage of chances early, the first of these saw Griffin place a perfect cross into the area that Matt Groves came inches from latching on to.\r\n\r\nBut, a warning shot from the Brakes came immediately after with a thumping header from Aron Wint striking the woodwork before being cleared away.\r\n\r\nMidfielder Tom Webb had a rare strike on goal with a thunderbolt effort that proved too hot to handle for Brakes goalkeeper Neil Collett who almost carried the ball over the line due to its ferocity.\r\n\r\nAnother warning came City’s way as Moore cut the ball back to Wint who smashed over emphatically from close range to give the Tigers another let-off.\r\n\r\nHowever, it was third time the charm for Leamington with Moore beating Preece for pace before rounding Mike Green to tap home a composed finish.\r\n\r\nBilly Jones attempted to muster a chance for the Tigers, but Leamington broke quickly with Moore who forced Green into a smart save.\r\n\r\nGloucester were given a lifeline on the half hour as Collett botched a clearance into the path of Griffin who unthinkably placed the ball wide when the goal was gaping, it was an opportunity the talismanic striker would normally slot away with ease but this wasn’t going to be City’s night.\r\n\r\nDeep into first half injury time, the Warwickshire side doubled their lead through the unfortunate boot of Preece who attempted to clear the ball away from danger but ended volleying past a hapless Green into his own net.\r\n\r\nAny hope of a Gloucester resurgence were quickly extinguished three minutes into the second period with Moore lashing home a long throughball into the back of the net.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers did muster a reply with Connolly lobbing a lovely 25 yard finish over Collett to cut the arrears in vain hope to spearhead a revival.\r\n\r\nStriker Griffin saw two quick half-chances flash by but it was ex-Tiger Jordan Goddard to put the contest thoroughly out of reach with a brilliant assist to Moore who slammed home his hat-trick goal.\r\n\r\nSubstitute Elliott Chamberlain impressed with a late run, but a poor finish summed up a bad day at the office for Gloucester City.\r\n\r\nLeamington: N. Collett, J. Mace, S. Morley, J. Magunda, S.Pierpoint, J. Tank, A. Wint (M. Dodd 73), J. Goddard, S. Moore (L. Moore 83), D. Newton, R. Batchelor (J. Edwards 69)\r\n\r\nSubs not used: L. Connolly, D. McNamee\r\n\r\nGoals: Moore 12, 48, 70, Preece OG 45+1\r\n\r\nGloucester City: M. Green, S. Avery, B. Jones, M. Preece (M. Green 55), M. Williams, A. Connolly, T. Webb, C. Jones (S. Wilson 64), C. Griffin, A. Mann (E. Chamberlain 55), M. Groves\r\n\r\nSubs not used: M. Richards, H. Rivers\r\n\r\nGoals: Connolly 54\r\n\r\nAttendance: 427

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.