Gloucester City’s winning run came to an abrupt halt after a frustrating evening against in-form Hednesford Town.\r\n\r\nSahr Kabba netted for a second game in a row; but with six minutes remaining, it was too late for any meaningful revival for Tim Harris’ side.\r\n\r\nThe Pitmen jumped into a two goal lead through Ben Bailey and Marvin Robinson, before Paul White brought down Steve Diggin who scored the subsequent penalty for a third in a professional display.\r\n\r\nStriker Harry White saw a shot cleared off the line by Darren Campion and Charlie Griffin had a late goal chalked off for a dubious offside that could’ve caused the hosts issues in a lengthy stoppage time period.\r\n\r\nHowever, Hednesford, the in-form side in the Vanarama North were a threat from the first minute and good value for the three points, adding even more importance to City’s vital contest against Lowestoft Town on Saturday.\r\n\r\nThe hosts began in an excellent fashion with Robinson threatening twice and Campion seeing a good effort fizz by the post.\r\n\r\nJack Thomas saw a tame effort saved by the Irish goalkeeper White and Sam Avery brilliantly intercepted as the Tigers kept the Pitmen at bay.\r\n\r\nIt took until the 24th minute for City to register an opportunity, which came from the head of Avery who rose highest to nod wide.\r\n\r\nIt was a false dawn though as Hednesford pumped into the area where Bailey looped the ball off his head, bamboozling White, who seemed to lose the flight and saw it nestle into the net.\r\n\r\nTwo minutes later almost came an immediate reprieve with Jack Harris latching onto Billy Jones corner to head about a foot wide.\r\n\r\nIt looked like an equaliser was coming, but only the ingenuity of Campion stopped Harry White’s excellent effort on the line.\r\n\r\nTim Harris’ men were punished shortly after with Robinson tucking home a simple goal after an error in the City defence with an unorthodox slide tackle from 12 yards.\r\n\r\nThe onslaught kept coming as Nick Rushton and Jamey Thomas tried their luck before Richard Batchelor forced a top save from White at his near post.\r\n\r\nWith a two goal deficit it was a tall order for Cityin the second half but through White, Chris Knowles and then substitute Charlie Griffin, City built some momentum.\r\n\r\nA gilt-edged chance fell to the latter whom, from only two yards out, fired high over the bar as Hednesford praised their luck.\r\n\r\nNew signing Mo Diop came on for the final quarter of the match and almost made an immediate impact, but a mazy run ended with a lacklustre shot into Dan Crane’s arms.\r\n\r\nAny chance of gaining a point from the game fizzled out when the referee awarded a penalty after White brought down Diggin, who dusted himself off to slot home a third.\r\n\r\nA shining light on a frustrating evening came when Kabba fired home Adam Connolly’s rebounded effort to notch a late mark on the score sheet.\r\n\r\nGriffin had a goal disallowed shortly after, but to the frustration of the veteran striker the ball had seemingly come off an opposition foot to his path.\r\n\r\nIn the end a third win in a row was one step too far for the Tigers, but with two six-pointers and a derby fixture as their next three games the club will be hoping for a speedy return to form.\r\n\r\nHednesford Town: D. Crane, J. Hurst, D. Campion, B. Bailey, P. McCone, T. Thorley, J. Osborne (G. Walker 52), J. Thomas, M. Robinson (G. McGee 82), N. Rushton (S. Diggin 78), R. Batchelor,\r\n\r\nSubs not used: A. Melbourne, C. Westwood\r\n\r\nGoals: Bailey 25, Robinson 35, Diggin pen 80\r\n\r\nGloucester City: P. White, M. Green, B. Jones, J. Harris, S. Avery, C. Knowles, F. Orenuga (M. Diop 72), T. Webb, H. White (C. Griffin 56), S. Kabba , L. Hall (A. Connolly 56)\r\n\r\nSubs not used: H. Rivers, J. James\r\n\r\nGoals: Kabba 84

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.