Gloucester City finished their 2013/2014 Skrill North campaign with a defeat at Guiseley, who confirmed their place in the play-offs.\r\n\r\nDespite an early lead through Billy Jones’ left-foot, Guiseley rallied heading into the break with two goals from hot-shot striker Adam Boyes.\r\n\r\nWith ten minutes remaining substitute Michael Potts beat the offside trap to put the contest out of reach.\r\n\r\nTim Harris’ men stunned Nethermoor Park in the third minute after a wonderful low-free kick from Jones rifled into the bottom corner; sending the large crowd into silence.\r\n\r\nIt could’ve been two shortly after with Adam Mann breaking through a gap in the Guiseley defence, but his effort was shot straight at Steven Drench.\r\n\r\nThe contest opened up with Boyes blasting into the side-netting, a warning for City.\r\n\r\nA second Tigers free-kick tested Drench, this time Lewis Hogg forcing a smart save from the Guiseley keeper.\r\n\r\nThe Nethermoor outfit turned up a gear with Oli Johnson finding his way through the Tigers backline, with Green stopping the effort.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers had to endure two early injuries with both Hogg and Will Morford limping off in the opening 20 minutes.\r\n\r\nThe City keeper stood firm again thwarting Boyes excellently from six yards out, before denying Johnson again for a third brilliant save in five minutes.\r\n\r\nHarris’ side were aggrieved with Nat Jarvis’ finish being disallowed for a push by Mann in the build-up, but the striker was denied a second goal for the club.\r\n\r\nThe comeback began in earnest on the half hour with Boyes finding space behind Matt Coupe and Jack Harris and slotted home coolly into the bottom corner.\r\n\r\nThe lethal striker then struck the crossbar, as the wind was thoroughly in the Lion’s sails.\r\n\r\nJohnson and Boyes continued to cause trouble up top, but Matt Groves could’ve easily restored City’s lead if it hadn’t have been for a brilliant Drench save from the winger’s half-volley.\r\n\r\nHowever, Guiseley took the lead just before the break as Green parried Wayne Brooksby’s shot into the path of Boyes who tapped home the rebound.\r\n\r\nGavin Rothery looked to increase the Yorkshire side’s lead with two efforts that both went well over.\r\n\r\nWith the scoreline from Guiseley’s play-off rivals Boston filtering through, the home side seemed to relax and allowed the Tigers more of the ball.\r\n\r\nOnly a heroic goal-line sliding clearance stopped City equalising after Ed Williams had played a sumptuous ball to Mann who clipped over Drench but didn’t cross the line.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers began to play possession football but couldn’t convert a large period with the ball to a meaningful chance in front of goal.\r\n\r\nGuiseley confirmed the victory ten minutes from time after Potts beat the offside trap, took the ball around Green and tucked the ball away.\r\n\r\n \r\n\r\nGuiseley: S. Drench, A. Holdsworth, B.Parker, D. Hall, D. Ellis, J. Lawlor, W. Brooksby, D. Boshell, A. Boyes (K. Holsgrove 59), O. Johnson (M. Potts 70), G. Rothery\r\n\r\nSubs not used: R. Meynell, R. Williams, S. Dickinson\r\n\r\nGoals: Boyes 31, 43, Potts 80\r\n\r\nGloucester City: M. Green, M. Green, B. Jones, M. Coupe, J. Harris, T. Webb, L. Hogg (M. Giglio 17), M. Groves (E. Williams 65), A. Mann, W. Morford (N. Jarvis 20), J. Gosling\r\n\r\nSubs not used: R. Winters, M. Rose\r\n\r\nGoals: Jones 3\r\n\r\nAttendance: 748

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.