A brilliant second half display secured Gloucester City a first victory of the season at promotion candidates Guiseley.\r\n\r\nScott Wilson’s piece of individual brilliance and headers from Charlie Griffin and Matt Williams, both assisted by Billy Jones,  and a wonderstrike from Chris Jones secured City’s first ever victory at Nethermoor Park in convincing fashion.\r\n\r\nNicky Boshell had slotted home a contentious penalty early in the second half, but thankfully it wasn’t another hard luck story for Tim Harris’ men who dominated from then on.\r\n\r\nCentre back Danny Ellis troubled with a free header from a corner but City managed to clear before Jack Stockdill flashed a thunderbolt effort wide.\r\n\r\nAfter a period of possession football for the Tigers, Guiseley broke away with Oli Johnson who saw his attempt blocked superbly by a lunging Williams.\r\n\r\nHarris’ men came to rue the linesman’s offside flag after Adam Mann’s hooked shot was stunningly stopped low by Stephen Dickinson, only for Scott Wilson to tap in the rebound but it was called offside.\r\n\r\nCity continued to assert their possession dominance but it was Johnson again who broke it up with a quick half-volley dipping over the crossbar.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers received their reward on 40 minutes after a brilliant solo run on the wing, leaving captain Andy Holdsworth in his wake, and strike from Wilson deflecting over Dickinson and into the back of the net.\r\n\r\nHowever, Green was called into fine form shortly after with tipping over Boyes’ diving header with an outstanding tip over the bar.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers started the second half in the worst possible manner with referee Andrew Miller awarding a rather contentious penalty after Mark Preece nudged Johnson in the area, Nicky Boshell slotting home.\r\n\r\nThe penalty re-energised the Tigers who came back with vengeance and retook the lead after a thunderous cross into the box by Billy Jones was headed home by Griffin for his fifth goal in six games.\r\n\r\nCity kept their tempo with Sam Avery heading wide and Mann shooting into the side netting as they bombarded the Yorkshire sides goal.\r\n\r\nOli Johnson should’ve levelled the game but missed a gilt-edged chance from 10 yards out with the whole goal to aim at.\r\n\r\nCity added a third through the head of Williams who knocked home simply after a delightful corner from Jones, to place City in a comfortable position against the promotion candidates.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers continued to pressure and only a smart save stopped Griffin’s ambitious 40 yard half-volley from sailing into the top corner, with Jones also peppering the Guiseley goal.\r\n\r\nCity rounded off a stunning away win with Jones running from deep and unleashed a 25 yard thunderbolt for a fourth.\r\n\r\nGuiseley S. Dickinson, A. Holdsworth, A. McQuade, B. Parker, D. Ellis, N. Boshell (W. Brooksby 58), O. Johnson, D. Boshell, A. Boyes, D. Forrest, J. Stockdill (J. Lawlor 69)\r\n\r\nSubs not used: R. Toulson, D. Lowe, G. Moorhouse\r\n\r\nGoals: N. Boshell 47 pen\r\n\r\nGloucester City: M. Green, S. Avery (S. Hamilton 90+3), B. Jones, M. Preece, M. Williams, A. Connolly (M. Richards 85), T. Webb, S. Wilson, C. Griffin, A. Mann, M. Green (C. Jones 63)\r\n\r\nSubs not used:  E. Chamberlain, M. Groves\r\n\r\nGoals: Wilson 40, Griffin 54, Williams 69, C. Jones 89

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.