Gloucester City produced a scintillating attacking display, including a 19 minute hat-trick for 18-year-old forward Joe Parker, to progress to the FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round, dispatching Yate Town.\r\n\r\nAn attacking masterclass from beginning to end; Darren Mullings, Scott Wilson, Will Morford and Tom Webb also joined in the act, but it was Parker’s night who was starting only his second game for the Tigers.\r\n\r\nCity will now face the test of Ryman Premier League outfit Hampton and Richmond Borough for a chance at facing the Football League’s finest.\r\n\r\nDave Mehew’s Tigers couldn’t have dreamed of a better start with City scoring after five minutes; Will Morford had been tackled in the area but the ball fell kindly to teenager Parker who slammed home.\r\n\r\nIt was 2-0 shortly after with Matt Groves superbly dragging back to Mullings, also a scorer on Saturday, who saw his shot deflected over Martin Horsell into the net.\r\n\r\nBut, this was just the start for Mehew’s men.\r\n\r\nDarren Edwards, fresh off his 92nd minute equaliser at Lodge Road, looked sharp and notched through a sterling ball into the path of Parker who slotted home for his second.\r\n\r\nParker, who was left to rue a last second miss during the original tie, scored his first ever hat-trick for Gloucester City; a 19 minute treble, after Edwards had once again played him through – a night to remember for Parker.\r\n\r\nThe intensity of the City breaks continued at pace and Groves tested Horsell from distance, producing a smart save.\r\n\r\nThe visitors had their first effort of note on 37 minutes with veteran striker Michael Meaker turning on a sixpence to shoot straight at goalkeeper Mike Green.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers showed their intent by adding Scott Wilson to their already bolstered attack, which now included four strikers.\r\n\r\nIt was five shortly after – Edwards knocking up his third assist of the game to play in Wilson who couldn’t miss from six yards out.\r\n\r\nThe Bluebells had their opportunities with Jake Cox curling a 25 yard effort wide of the post, quickly followed by Mike Bryant hitting over in the box.\r\n\r\nYate substitute Jordan Rogers produced their best effort of the game breaking through the City backline to test Green at his near post.\r\n\r\nRogers continued peppering the City goal, but two further efforts were squandered.\r\n\r\n17-year-old full-back Lewis Binns was brought on for his Gloucester City debut with the wind thoroughly in the City sails.\r\n\r\nThe sixth was added with seven minutes remaining, Edwards produced a scintillating fourth assist, after Sam Turl bust a gut to reach the ball on the right, and it was passed to Morford who stroked home with aplomb.\r\n\r\nAnd, with the final act of the game, the seventh – Wilson held up the ball and played in Tom Webb who poked home to the delight of the home fans.\r\n\r\nGloucester City: M. Green, M. Liddiard (Binns 79), T. Weir, M. Coupe, J. Harris, T. Webb, J. Parker (Turl 71), D. Mullings, D. Edwards, W. Morford, M. Groves (Wilson 45)\r\n\r\nSubs not used: N. Phillips, S. Rawlings, N. Mustoe, J. Lee\r\n\r\nGoals: Parker 5, 23, 25, Mullings 16, Wilson 63, Morford 83, Webb 90+1\r\n\r\nYate Town: M. Horsell, J. Cox, M. Harrison, J. Chandler, N. Felix, B. Abrahams, J. Harmer (Rogers 60), M. Bryant, M. Meaker (Jackson 68), L. Haldane, R. Hulbert\r\n\r\nSubs not used: T. Seery, M. Tippins, D. Lane, M. Lenihan, S. Wimble

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.