A lesson in clinical finishing was dished out by Gloucester City and despite a hairy final 20 minutes, they progressed in the FA Cup beating Kidlington 4-2.\r\n\r\nThe first chance of the opening period fell to the visitors as Anaclet Odihambo sped away from the Tigers defence and chipped past Jasbir Singh but it was correctly ruled out for offside.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers had a disallowed goal for themselves as Jonté Smith was made to wait a little longer for his first goal in a Gloucester City shirt.\r\n\r\nKidlington could sense an upset and had started the game the brighter of the two sides. Lewis Coyle showed good skill to cut inside and curl an effort towards the far post that was deflected for a corner in a hairy moment for the Tigers.\r\n\r\nAs is so often the way with the FA Cup, the underdogs were enjoying a bright spell. Anaclet Odihambo did well to beat James Bowen and unleash a fierce cross-goal shot that Singh did well to gather.\r\n\r\nObi Anoruo limped off after he was clattered into by Kidlington ‘keeper Sam Warrell and it was his replacement Mike Symons who opened the scoring.\r\n\r\nThe big striker cut inside onto his less favoured left foot and struck a weak shot that deflected underneath the despairing dive of Warrell for his first goal of the season.\r\n\r\nJonté Smith was again left waiting for his first Tigers goal as he headed over from close range following a delightful move involving Mike Green and Joe Parker.\r\n\r\nIt was not long before Smith netted for the first time though, after he struck a brilliant free kick from 35 yards into the top corner.\r\n\r\nCity had a well and truly deserved third goal as the skipper Matt Williams tapped in from two yards after a lovely knock down from Symons.\r\n\r\nKidlington went down to 10 men when their captain Tom Franklin was shown a straight red after he flew in late on Singh.\r\n\r\nThe hosts made it 4 through Lewis Hall who deserved a goal more than any other player on the pitch. Joe Parker chipped the ball to Hall to volley into an empty net.\r\n\r\nMatt Williams again had the ball in the net but this time it was in his own, as Ryan Brooks played a low ball in that was accidentally converted by the Tigers skipper.\r\n\r\nThe City faithful began to worry as Anaclet Odihambo gave the visitors a glimmer of hope as he chipped a delightful effort over Singh.\r\n\r\nDespite this though, City advanced to the next round of the Emirates FA Cup thanks to their experience and clinical finishing as they condemned their lower league opposition to defeat.\r\n\r\nGloucester City: Singh, Green, Bowen, Williams (capt), Jones (Liddiard 62’), Miller, Parker, Webb, Anoruo (Symons 23’), Smith (Thompson 71’), Hall\r\n\r\nSubs: Connolly, Hanks, Richards, Hannah (GK)\r\n\r\nKidlington: Warrell, Weedon (Brooks 46’), Flannagan, Chalmers, Franklin (capt), Gabbidon, Coyle (Quainton 77’), E. Odihambo (Willoughby 77’), A. Odihambo, Thomas, Castle\r\n\r\nSubs: Begg, Powell, McGowan, Foster (GK)\r\n\r\nReferee: Lisa Rashid\r\n\r\nAttendance: 393\r\n\r\nStar man: Lewis Hall

Comments are closed.