Gloucester City were defeated by local rivals Forest Green Rovers in an incredibly entertaining eight goal thriller at Whaddon Road.\r\n\r\nThe Nailsworth outfit played an experimental, but strong, side with the class of Luke Rodgers and Danny Wright bearing fruit early seeing the former New York Red Bulls man score, before a breathtaking 35 yard screamer by Billy Jones equalised for City.\r\n\r\nRovers tore away with three quick goals, an excellent solo effort from Chris Stokes, a left footed curler from Wright and a cheeky poke home from Kurtis Guthrie forcing an insurmountable lead.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers were spirited in their reply with Will Morford tucking home from 25 yards after goalkeeper Paul White rushed out to collect.\r\n\r\nWright added a fifth on 54 minutes before Sam Avery ended the scoring on the hour with a stunted volley from six yards.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers had burst into action early with Scott Wilson, but a curling effort from the striker just evaded the far post after just 14 seconds.\r\n\r\nIt was Forest Green who took the advantage after six minutes with Rodgers following up on a deflected Guthrie cross with a composed finish.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers hit back through an absolute stunner from Jones after the veteran dispossessed Eddie Oshodi on the half-way line and unleashed an unsavable effort from 35 yards out; one of the finest strikes you’ll see all season.\r\n\r\nThe Conference Premier side retook the lead on the 25 minute mark after an audacious run down the left by Stokes, who skipped three tackles, before chipping over Rivers.\r\n\r\nThe lead was enhanced after an excellent piece of individual skill by Wright who skipped a challenge before curling a left footer inside the far post.\r\n\r\nForest Green were rampant going forward and added a fourth after Macauley Dodson’s throughball found Guthrie unmarked to poke home.\r\n\r\nA sixth goal in a wildly open first-half came for the Tigers; Tom Webb’s strong challenge unleashed Morford down the wing who cheekily shot past the oncoming White to cut the deficit.\r\n\r\nThe Nailsworth’s side immense attacking threat kept pushing into the second half as a sumptuous ball by Rodgers was collected and finished with aplomb by Wright for his second of the evening, and a fifth for Rovers.\r\n\r\nThe scoring finished on the hour mark with Avery knocking home a Jones corner after the big defender stabbed the ball home from six yards.\r\n\r\nTim Harris’ men kept on plucking away at the now inexperienced Forest Green defence, first James Hartson found space in behind but couldn’t place his attempt on target followed by an audacious free-kick by Lewis Hogg just tipped over.\r\n\r\nWhite was forced to produce his best save of the game from Matt Groves during the final action of an entertaining and competitive friendly.\r\n\r\nGloucester City: H. Rivers, S. Avery, B. Jones. S. Hamilton (A. Connolly 45), S. Brooks (M. Green 45), M. Richards, T. Webb (L. Hogg 61), S. Wilson (N. Jarvis 45), W. Morford (J. Hartson 45), C. Griffin (A. Mann 45), E. Chamberlain (M. Groves 76)\r\n\r\nSubs not used: M. Green\r\n\r\nGoals: Jones 12, Morford 44, Avery 60\r\n\r\nForest Green Rovers:  P. White, M. Dodson (J. Holmes 79), C. Stokes (S. Bevan 65), M. Kelly (J. Hanley 87), E. Oshodi, C. Pirie, K. Guthrie, S. Wedgbury, D. Wright (D. Martin 79), L. Rodgers (C. Gordon 83), J. Fisher (J. Allen 63)\r\n\r\nSubs not used:  L. Wright, H. Jones, W. Haywood, A. Simpson\r\n\r\nGoals: Rodgers 6, Stokes 25, Wright 33, 54, Guthrie 35\r\n\r\nAttendance: 191

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.