Gloucester City were denied a victory in their final home of the season through Matt Dodd’s last-gasp equaliser.\r\n\r\nTim Harris’ men began at a lightning pace with Adam Mann and Will Morford giving the Tigers a two goal lead in the first six minutes.\r\n\r\nRicky Johnson had cut the deficit on the quarter hour, with both sides seeing gilt-edged opportunities going missing in a thrilling first half.\r\n\r\nMann had restored City’s two goal lead ten minutes from time before Danny Newton and Dodd’s last minute equaliser salvaged a point for the Brakes.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers couldn’t have started the contest better with Conor Thompson lumping forward a clearance to Morford who chested down to Mann; the forward unleashed a vicious strike into the bottom corner.\r\n\r\nThe lead was doubled on six minutes; Lewis Hogg’s powerful effort was saved by Tony Breeden into the path of Morford who tapped the ball into the net.\r\n\r\nCity’s lead was halved on 14 minutes as Johnson stole a march on Jack Harris using his strength to tuck past Thompson.\r\n\r\nOnly the last-ditch defending of Ruairidh Winters denied the Brakes with both Johnson and Lee Moore bearing down on goal.\r\n\r\nTim Harris’ men came agonisingly close to restoring their two goal advantage but the woodwork denied Mann after a excellent passing move.\r\n\r\nCity continued to pepper Breeden but Jake Gosling’s header and Marcus Giglio’s acrobatic half-volley didn’t trouble the Leamington shot-stopper.\r\n\r\nDefender Mike Green was called into action and smartly headed Reece Flanagan’s effort off the line.\r\n\r\nLeamington were riding their luck as Breeden handled outside of the area, with referee Neil Radford suggesting it was accidental much to the disagreement of the Tigers bench.\r\n\r\nWith half-time approaching, City could’ve extended their lead but Mann missed a gilt-edged opportunity failing to connect with the ball from six yards out and Breeden excellently saved.\r\n\r\nHeading into the second period, Harris’ troops went close through the cultured left foot of Billy Jones who struck his free-kick just wide.\r\n\r\nExcellent footwork from Mann then set up an opportunity, but a bevy of Leamington bodies managed to block his piledriver attempt.\r\n\r\nThe game divulged into a scrappy affair with neither side taking control, as Morford made himself a nuisance and headed wide from a Jones corner.\r\n\r\nIt was a day of celebration for Matt Coupe who replaced Winters for his 700th senior career appearance, and immediately made his presence known with a strong header wide.\r\n\r\nMatt Groves followed with an impressive solo effort; however Breeden smartly stopped the winger’s half-volley.\r\n\r\nMann was consistently causing issues all afternoon and deservedly scored his second after Coupe’s ball forward found Nat Jarvis, the striker squared into the box and the striker simply couldn’t miss.\r\n\r\nSubstitute Newton wrong-footed Thompson with a hidden attempt that snuck into the bottom corner to give the large following of Brakes fans some hope.\r\n\r\nThen, in the third minute of injury time, a goal-line scramble saw Thompson save superbly and Harris blocking on the line before Dodd smashed into the roof of the net to level the game.\r\n\r\nGloucester City: C. Thompson, M. Green, B. Jones, R. Winters (M. Coupe 63), J. Harris, M. Giglio (T. Webb 85), L. Hogg, M. Groves, A. Mann, W. Morford (N. Jarvis 75), J. Gosling\r\n\r\nSubs not used: J. Parker, E. Williams\r\n\r\nGoals: Mann 2, 80, Morford 6\r\n\r\nLeamington: T. Breeden, R. Higgins, S. Morley, N. Hicks, L. Daly, J. Mace, M. Dodd, R. Flanagan, R. Johnson (D. Newton 71), L. Moore (L. Chilton 71), P.Till (A. Wint 77)\r\n\r\nSubs not used: D. McNamee, C. Owen\r\n\r\nGoals: Johnson 13, Newton 86, Dodd 90+3\r\n\r\nAttendance: 527

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.