Gloucester City secured their place in the FA Cup 1st Round for a second consecutive season with two late goals to overcome Hampton and Richmond Borough.\r\n\r\nDarren Mullings had struck an early second half equaliser and with City on top 18-year-old Sam Turl scrambled home with 10 minutes remaining before stalwart Tom Webb headed home in the 89th minute.\r\n\r\nCharlie Moone had scored a shock goal for the Ryman Premier League seeing the Beavers head into half-time in the lead.\r\n\r\nBut, superb and savvy substitutions from City manager Dave Mehew saw the Tigers equalise with Scott Wilson playing his part, before Turl and Webb’s late heroics.\r\n\r\nThe first chance of note came for Beavers full-back Joe Turner who whizzed down the left and shot wide from distance.\r\n\r\nIt was Turner again minutes later, but this time he dragged his shot wide from the right.\r\n\r\nCity’s star man of the last round, hat-trick hero Joe Parker, was given a testing header after a ball from Tyler Weir that went over the bar.\r\n\r\nHowever, with City looking the more dangerous, Hampton took a shock lead.\r\n\r\nA terribly taken free kick was cleared away, but the following pump into the area from ex-Derby County star Darren Powell found hotshot Charlie Moone who manoeuvred to score a looping header over Mike Green for the lead.\r\n\r\nThe unlikely advantage gave the Ryman Premier League outfit the impetus and Tom Hickey and Dan Thompson attempted at goal to no avail.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers came inches from an equaliser but Tommy Brewer cleared off the line after Parker shot from wide.\r\n\r\nThe second half became a different proposition for the Tigers, looking at a defeat, manager Mehew chopped and changed and brought on impact sub Wilson.\r\n\r\nThe reaction was immediate as the striker played Darren Mullings through with his back to goal who smashed home in the penalty area to equalise.\r\n\r\nThe visitors almost re-established their lead within seconds of the restart, but Thompson’s snatch shot blasted inches wide.\r\n\r\nThe game turned into a scrappy affair, but City came extremely close on 72 minutes after Jack Harris headed across goal and the ball somehow scrambled across the line and was cleared by the Hampton and Richmond backline.\r\n\r\nWith 10 minutes remaining, Gloucester City took the lead and 18-year-old Turl knocked home his first ever goal for the club after Mullings’ original shot was superbly saved by goalkeeper Rodney Chiweshe, but the teenage winger was there for the rebound.\r\n\r\nThe tie was sealed in the final minute with the Tigers record appearance holder Webb heading home after Wilson had broken away on the counter attack to seal City’s spot in the FA Cup 1st Round.\r\n\r\nGloucester City: M. Green, M. Green, T. Weir, M. Coupe, J. Harris, T. Webb, J. Parker, D. Mullings, D. Edwards, W. Morford (Turl 76), M. Liddiard (Wilson 45)\r\n\r\nSubs Not Used: N. Phillips, S. Rawlings, R. Batten, L. Binns, D. Haile\r\n\r\nGoals: Mullings 52, Turl 81, Webb 89\r\n\r\nHampton and Richmond Borough: R. Chiweshe, J. Turner, G. Wells, S. Lake (Aite-Ouakrim 83), D. Powell (Rose 76), J. Roberts, K. Carder, T. Hickey, D. Thompson (Rocastle 85), C. Moone, T. Brewer\r\n\r\nSubs Not Used: J. Simmonds, L. Wanadio, S. Fallen, R. Stanislavs\r\n\r\nGoals: Moone 28\r\n\r\nAttendance: 683\r\n\r\nStar man: Darren Mullings

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.