A stunning half-volley from Gareth Evans condemned Gloucester City to another Skrill North defeat at Whaddon Road.\r\n\r\n18-year-old Connor Waldon, on loan from Swindon Town, had put City ahead after two goals either side of half-time on his home debut, cancelling out Jonathan Royle’s penalty rebound.\r\n\r\nHowever, the Tigers had only themselves to blame as spurned opportunities from numerous City players resulted in Robert Hopley levelling the game on the hour before Evans’ stupendous strike.\r\n\r\nOn a bitterly cold night at Whaddon Road, Colwyn Bay froze during the early goings with Matt Groves coming close twice in the opening two minutes.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers continued their persistent early pressure with Darren Edwards and Groves both not making the most of half opportunities that came their way.\r\n\r\nThe North Wales outfit tested Mike Green for the first time on the quarter hour mark but Sean Williams audacious 25-yard attempt fell easily into the arms of the 24-year-old.\r\n\r\nCity’s already makeshift defence, including Torquay United loan signing Kirtys Mackenzie making his debut, was weakened after Sam Rawlings picked up a knee injury after a strong 50/50 challenge.\r\n\r\nThe Dave Mehew’s side reshuffling Williams stormed through but his caressed effort went just wide.\r\n\r\nThe next attack, Cameron Darkway made a charge at Rawlings’ right-back replacement Tom Webb, but the City stalwart stuck out a leg and referee Steven Plane awarded the spotkick.\r\n\r\nJonathan Royle stepped up, only for Green to make a superb save to his low right, but Royle tucked home the rebound for the lead.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers looked to bounce back and did so in spectacular fashion just before the break; Swindon Town loanee Waldon picked the ball up on the edge of the box, evaded his marker and delivered a pearler into the top right corner.\r\n\r\nAfter the break, Waldon’s home debut became even better; Groves had run from deep through an array of challenge to find Jordan Goddard who delivered a teasing cross to the 18-year-old who headed with purpose past Chris Sanna.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers almost made it three through Darren Edwards but after finding some space, the City striker lobbed Sanna only to see his effort bounce just wide.\r\n\r\nGloucester were made to rue that missed chance soon with Hopley flicking on a powerfully struck corner by Michael Lea past Green.\r\n\r\nDarren Mullings produced a good save from Sanna after a period of sustained pressure before Groves spurned an gilt-edged opportunity at the back post.\r\n\r\nThey were made to pay: Evans chipped up the ball 25-yards out and produced a goal of the highest quality past a flailing Green to re-establish their lead.\r\n\r\nGloucester pushed for an equaliser, but it never came as City look further into a potential relegation dogfight.\r\n\r\nGloucester City: M. Green, M. Green, S. Rawlings (Parker 28), K. Mackenzie (Liddiard 66), J. Harris, T. Webb, J. Goddard, D. Mullings, D. Edwards, C. Waldon (Wilson 73), M. Groves\r\n\r\nSubs not used: W. Morford, S. Turl\r\n\r\nGoals: Waldon 42, 47\r\n\r\nColwyn Bay: C. Sanna, D. Taylor, M. Lea, J. Crowther (Ellison 54), T. Smyth, J. Royle, G. Evans, S. Williams, R. Hopley, C. Joyce (Moss 79), C. Darkway (Matthews 56)\r\n\r\nSubs not used: L. Moss, D. Meadowcroft,\r\n\r\nGoals: Royle 31, Hopley 60, Evans 76

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.