Gloucester City secured their Skrill North safety with a hearty two-goal comeback against Vauxhall Motors.\r\n\r\nNat Jarvis, with his maiden Tigers goal, and Jack Harris, scoring on his landmark 200th appearance for the club, cancelled out Steven Tames and Danny Fearnehough’s early strikes that shocked Whaddon Road.\r\n\r\nThe point means Tim Harris’ side are now mathematically safe from relegation with four games to play, an incredible turnaround from late February.\r\n\r\nVauxhall, who have voluntarily resigned from their place in the Skrill North for the 2014/2015 season, played with a reckless abandon that Gloucester struggled to cope with early.\r\n\r\nBut defender Harris’ header just before the break brought life into the City performance for Jarvis is equalise superbly mid-way through the second period.\r\n\r\nDouble centurion Harris targeted the goal early, but a bouncing effort from 30 yards failed to test Zac Jones.\r\n\r\nVauxhall motored up to the opposite end however Tames failed to properly hit the strike with any real power.\r\n\r\nThe open start continued with Jake Gosling powering down the right and drilling a low shot into Jones’ arms.\r\n\r\nAgainst the run of play Vauxhall took the lead as Tames produced a stunning goal from 25 yards that Mike Green had no chance of stopping that nestled into the bottom corner.\r\n\r\nThe Merseyside outfit continued to pile on the pressure for the following few minutes with the Tigers struggling to clear their lines on numerous occasions.\r\n\r\nThe lead was doubled on the half hour as a long throw-in caught the City defence sleeping and Fearnehough swivelled with acres to space to smash past Green.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers immediately had the opportunity to half the deficit through Billy Jones but the former Leyton Orient man rushed the chance and sliced wide.\r\n\r\nWith the half-time break looming, Jones made amends by looping in a free-kick to find the head of Harris, on his landmark appearance, to head home.\r\n\r\nVauxhall looked to gain their advantage as the second period began, but Adam Hughes’ poor effort was high and wide.\r\n\r\nCity replied with Harris persisting on the right to manoeuvre a ball into Morford but the striker’s glancing header trickled wide.\r\n\r\nJoe Parker followed up with a header but couldn’t steer the ball on target after Michael Green’s excellent work from right-back.\r\n\r\nGosling threatened with a smashed effort that was blocked well by Vauxhall defender Andy Nicholas.\r\n\r\nSubstitute Nat Jarvis levelled the contest soon after with a superb individual goal, cutting in well from the right to curl the ball into Jones’ far corner; his first goal for the Tigers.\r\n\r\nVauxhall stopper Jones was called into action with Parker’s powerful attempt forcing a smart stop.\r\n\r\nLeft-back Jones stepped up from 30 yards with a sumptuous free-kick that his namesake stopped accordingly with a flying save to his left.\r\n\r\nThe Rivacre Park side went gung ho for the win, but Lloyd Ellams’ effort raised high over the bar.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers final opportunity came to substitute Matt Groves who showed incredible perseverance skipping through multiple challenges but his strike darted over the crossbar as City settled for a draw.\r\n\r\nGloucester City: M. Green, M. Green, B. Jones, M. Coupe, J. Harris, R. Winters, M. Giglio, E. Williams (N. Jarvis 55), J.Parker, W. Morford (M. Groves 76), J. Gosling\r\n\r\nSubs not used: C. Thompson, M. Rose, L. Binns\r\n\r\nGoals: Harris 45, Jarvis 66\r\n\r\nVauxhall Motors: Z. Jones, S. Wainwright, L. Barnes, T. Hannigan, A. Nicholas, K. Clair, D. Fearnehough, P. Mendes (T. Rutter 64), S. Tames, L. Ellams, A. Hughes\r\n\r\nSubs not used: M. Bainbridge, A. Wright, G. Martindale\r\n\r\nGoals: Tames 11, Fearnehough 32\r\n\r\nAttendance: 297\r\n\r\nStar man: Marcus Giglio

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.