Gloucester City were denied a win in their final pre-season game by two second half goals from Cinderford Town, as the two sides played out an entertaining draw at Whaddon Road.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers started well with Obi Anoruo going close with a header in the 6 yard area which was straight into the arms of Alex Harris in the Cinderford goal.\r\n\r\nWith City enjoying the lion’s share of possession Joe Parker tried a volley from the edge of the box but couldn’t quite get the right connection on it to direct the ball goalwards.\r\n\r\nFormer Gloucester City transfer target Ethan Moore was making a nuisance of himself in the box. He managed to turn in the box but sliced his effort well wide of Jasbir Singh’s goal.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers had the lead halfway through the first period. On his return to the City team Mat Liddiard sneaked in behind the defence to calmly slot the ball underneath Alex Harris.\r\n\r\nCity doubled their advantage moments later after Adam Connolly was brought down 25 yards out from goal and from the resulting free kick, Billy Jones struck an unstoppable effort into the top corner.\r\n\r\nMat Liddiard went in search of his 2nd and the Tigers’ 3rd goal following a superb chest down to get past 2 defenders, but the City midfielder’s half volley was just off target.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers kept the pressure on and should’ve had another were it not for the post denying Adam Connolly from close range, when it looked harder to miss than score.\r\n\r\nThe first chance of the second half came for Cinderford at the back post as Garyn Preen had an empty net to tap into, but the winger mistimed his kick and fluffed wide.\r\n\r\nObi Anoruo was left wondering how he didn’t have his first Gloucester City goal just moments later.\r\n\r\nLewis Hall played a perfect lob over the top to Anoruo who took it away from Harris with his touch but the Tigers hitman couldn’t quite bring it down in time to tap into an empty net.\r\n\r\nCinderford had a goal back just before the hour mark through a lovely driven free kick from Joe Donaghue as he struck an unstoppable effort into the top corner from 30 yards.\r\n\r\nThe game then became a war of attrition with neither side able to find any chance of note; before an outswinging corner was met by the unmarked James Fawke to level the scores at 2-2.\r\n\r\nCinderford had a golden chance to take the lead in the 80th minute as Sam Hunt unleashed a venomous cross but there was nobody on the end to finish when the net was gaping.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers face FC United of Manchester in their opening game of the season at Whaddon Road next Saturday, 8th August.\r\n\r\nGloucester City: Singh, Green, Jones, Williams, Avery, Connolly, Liddiard, Parker, Anoruo, Symons, Hall\r\n\r\nSubs: Richards, White, Staley, Hamilton, Hicks, Oates\r\n\r\nCinderford Town: Harris, Thomas, Knott, Sheehan, Rhodes, Fawke, Donaghue, Dovey, Moore, Lloyd, Preen\r\n\r\nSubs: Nelmes, Keightley, Hunt, Shaw, Fletcher, Mason\r\n\r\nAttendance: 147\r\n\r\nReferee: John Busby\r\n\r\nStar Man: Sam Avery (Gloucester City)

Comments are closed.