Gloucester City saw out the last game of the Whaddon Road era having twice been pegged back from ahead against a 10-man Chorley.

The play-off chasing Magpies needed a result to guarantee their spot in the post season, and Adam Blakeman looked to try and grab an early goal as he struck a shot from 35 yards but Jasbir Singh watched it fly well wide.

Keiran Thomas looked to get the Tigers into the game as he carried it 40 yards from right back and offloaded to Zack Kotwica but the floated ball back to him drifted away from the ex-Cinderford Town captain.

The Tigers were on the back foot for most of the opening exchanges, but they had the lead somewhat against the run of play.

Joe Hanks had a chance to put the ball into the box from a free kick on halfway, and he did just that, as he dropped a perfect free kick into Luke Hopper, who diverted a side foot volley past Dibble.

It wasn’t long before the visitors got themselves level as Dale Whitham headed a relatively tame effort past Singh after Andy Teague was afforded all the time in the world to pick his cross.

The openness of the game continued and Hanks had the chance to restore the lead from the penalty spot after Knowles was brought down in the area.

Hanks, who has scored all his penalties so far this season, made no mistake from the spot once again as Dibble couldn’t keep it out.

Chorley were a goal down and then a man down as well, after Jack Sampson was deservedly sent off for a deliberate elbow on Spencer Hamilton.

Another free kick was poorly defended by the Tigers and after Teague hit the post with a header, Jason Walker was the only man to react to level the scores on the stoke of half-time.

Matt Jansen was left wondering how his Chorley side hadn’t scored another as Walker arrived unmarked at the back post but spurned a chance in front of an empty net.

Tim Harris was wondering something similar as a massive chance befell Kotwica in the box but he fluffed his lines six yards out.

Jasbir Singh was on hand to deny Carver as he stood tall with an exceptional one-on-one save to thwart the striker who broke with speed.

It was City’s turn to breakaway with pace as Joe Parker and Ed Williams combined and the latter got into the box to shoot, but Dibble held down low.

With Chorley sitting back happy to defend a point, City pressurised the Magpies and a goalmouth scramble somehow stayed out with Knowles and Avery all in the mix.

There would be no further breakthrough for either side, though, as the Tigers finished their tenure at Whaddon Road with a credible point.

Gloucester City: Singh, Thomas, Hall, Hamilton (Deaman 86’), Avery, Knowles, Hanks (Mullings 55’), Webb (capt), Hopper, Kotwica (Parker 65’), Williams

Subs nor used: McGrory, King

Chorley: Dibble, Challoner, Jarvis (O’Keefe 76’), Teague (capt), Leather, Jordan (Walker 17’), Blakeman, Whitham, Carver, Sampson, Cottrell

Subs not used: Azam, Charnock, Roscoe

Referee: Matthew Donohue

Attendance: 526

Star man: Tom Webb

Comments are closed.