FORGETTABLE in the first half and incendiary in the second it certainly won’t be football that becomes the overriding memory from Skrill North’s battle of the homeless, writes James Young.\r\n\r\nAfter an own goal had given Gloucester City a first half lead, Scott Wilson doubled the score with a superb second goal for City early in the second period.\r\n\r\nBut after George Williams had cut the arrears the game descended into absolute chaos following an ugly confrontation between Tigers skipper Matt Coupe and Worcester’s Shabir Khan.\r\n\r\nRed cards were dished out to the petulant pugilists, but it was what happened next that could lead to costly ramifications for both sides in the coming weeks.\r\n\r\nAs Khan was leaving the pitch, he threw his head aggressively towards Coupe,  had been off the pitch to receive treatment after being felled in the initial confrontation.\r\n\r\nSeconds later when Coupe saw his red and made his way down the tunnel all hell appeared to break loose with both sets of players and benches joining the melee.\r\n\r\nWhen, eventually, calm was restored Mr D’Aguillar took the extraordinary step of inviting the managers on to the field to deliver a calming team talk and after ten minutes, football returned.\r\n\r\nThat the game will be remembered for the fighting and not the football, serves to wipe a wonderful goal from City striker Wilson from the memory banks.\r\n\r\nHis impudent finish, chipped over the advancing Matt Sargeant was as classy as the passing move that created it as Matt Groves and Darren Edwards combined with outstanding effect.\r\n\r\nWilson’s second strike came after he had made City’s first goal with a lightning run down the right flank and a cross that forced the unfortunate Hutchison to stab past his own goalkeeper.\r\n\r\nIt was one of few any moments of note in a lacklustre first half which was book-ended by Mike Green saves from Hutchison’s defensive partner Richard Munday.\r\n\r\nThe towering centre back met Tom Thorley’s first-minute corner with a true header that rebounded to safety with not inconsiderable luck off Green’s right boot.\r\n\r\nWhile his save to deny Munday’s first-minute owed something to fortune, the one he pulled out with five minutes to go in the half owed everything to brilliance.\r\n\r\nA tangled melee in the Tigers box eventually cleared with Munday bearing down on goal six yards out. His stabbed shot was true, but the stiff right arm from Green repelled the effort.\r\n\r\nHe had little chance to stop George Williams’ towering header from Luke Hubbins’ left-wing cross jst short of the hour mark.\r\n\r\nGreen also knew little about Aaron Williams’ 89th minute effort that struck the outside of the post after he had been put through by a third Williams, Danny’s neat slide-rule pass.\r\n\r\nAnd after eight fractious minutes of injury time relieved referee D’Aguillar was able to blow his whistle for a final time.\r\n\r\nWhile City were relieved and delighted to have recorded their first three points of the term, it remains to be seen what sanction may follow for the unsightly brawl that blighted the contest.\r\n\r\nGloucester City: MJ Green;  MF Green, T Hamblin, M Coupe, T Weir; T Webb, J Harris, L Hogg; S Wilson (S Turl 90), D Edwards (D Mullings 63), M Groves (R Batten 90).\r\n\r\nSubs not used: S Rawlings, J Edge.\r\n\r\nWorcester City: M Sargent; G Williams, G Hutchison, R Munday, S Khan; L Hubbins (D Williams 86), A Sammons (E Nelson-Addy 54), T Thorley, E Deeney; A Williams, D Glover (J Heath 90).\r\n\r\nSubs not used, A Walker,  D Chamberlain.\r\n\r\nReferee: M D’Aguillar\r\n\r\nAtt: 566\r\n\r\nStar man: Scott Wilson

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.