Gloucester City progressed into the FA Cup Third Qualifying Round with a business-like performance against Southern Premier League Paulton Rovers.\r\n\r\nGeorge Miller’s first goal for the club proved to be the vital goal, adding to Matt Groves’ first half effort but a stoppage time Elliott Gibbons header caused a nervy finish.\r\n\r\nHowever, the performance managed to get the job done as City will travel to Conference South strugglers Staines Town in the next round as the club look to recreate the magic of their last two cup campaigns.\r\n\r\nStriker Charlie Griffin was City’s saviour in the first tie, netting with five minutes remaining at Winterfield Road, but an offside effort stopped the talisman from adding to his impressive tally early on.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers looked to finish the job early as Groves and Tom Webb both peppered Kyle Phillip’s goal.\r\n\r\nPaulton’s first real opportunity came from the boot of Jon Davies who drilled the ball inches over the bar.\r\n\r\nChances were sparse but Groves and Billy Jones both fired from distance as Paulton slowed the contest down to a snail’s pace.\r\n\r\nTim Harris’ men took the lead on the half hour, Joe Parker scuffed a shot from outside the area to see Groves pounce on the ball with a striker’s instinct and tap home into the far corner.\r\n\r\nDavies attempted to level the game shortly after with a dangerous blast across goal after a surging run.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers saw out of the half ahead and could’ve doubled the lead as Lewis Hogg curled a chance narrowly over.\r\n\r\nGloucester huffed and puffed as they attempted to find a second, Adam Mann setting up Griffin who couldn’t keep it header down.\r\n\r\nIt wasn’t long after that the Tigers added a second with the first real quality of the two ties as Parker led a three-on-one breakaway with speed and expertly found Miller who couldn’t miss at the far post.\r\n\r\nCity almost notched an unorthodox third as Adam Flint smashes a clearance straight at Griffin, forcing Phillips to make a smart save.\r\n\r\nPaulton were still frustrating the Tigers as Dean Evans rose highest to head a foot wide.\r\n\r\nGeorge Miller looked impressive and could’ve added a second of the game, but a whistle for handball in the build up robbed the former Preston North End midfielder of a brace.\r\n\r\nJust as Tigers fans were planning their venture into the next round, Gibbons slotted an excellent header past Paul White, who had very little to do most of the game, to make the seven minutes stoppage time rather nervy.\r\n\r\nBut that was the last of the action as Gloucester City will travel to North London on October 11th to continue their FA Cup journey.\r\n\r\nGloucester City: P. White, S. Avery, B. Jones, M. Richards, M. Williams, T. Webb, L. Hogg (A. Connolly 46), J. Parker (N. Modest 80), C. Griffin, A. Mann (G. Miller 59), M. Groves\r\n\r\nSubs not used: S. Hamilton, C. Jones, H Rivers\r\n\r\nGoals: Groves 28, Miller 61\r\n\r\nPaulton Rovers: K. Phillips, J. Walker, A. Flint, O. Knowles (E. Gibbons 66), S. Brice, B. Barnes, M. Bryant, A. Williams, J. Klein-Davies, J. Davies, D. Evans\r\n\r\nSubs not used: S. Tovey, J. Jeffries, K. Baggs, T. Pollard, C. Hinder\r\n\r\nGoals: Gibbons 90+1\r\n\r\nAttendance: 377

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.