Gloucester City legend Tom Webb all but assured the Tigers’ Vanarama Conference North safety with a late winner at home to Chorley.\r\n\r\nChorley took the lead in the 11th minute from the penalty spot after Whitham was fouled. James Dean stepped up to take the spot kick and smashed it emphatically past Paul White.\r\n\r\nCity were level soon after through Harry Williams. Nick Wright showed great skill to get to the byline and cross, and Williams’ looping header came off the post and in.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers had Paul White to thank for keeping the scores level after he pulled off a great save from Aaron Burns’ powerful shot, pushing it well away from the danger zone.\r\n\r\nCity had a great chance to take the lead following a superb cross from Mike Green to Nick Wright, but the striker’s glancing header was just narrowly wide.\r\n\r\nThe City faithful were left wondering how their team didn’t after Harry Williams took the ball past 3 Chorley players and fired straight at Ashton.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers were all over the Magpies in the early stages of the second half. A low free kick from Billy Jones ricocheted around the box before Sam Ashton dashed out to collect the loose ball.\r\n\r\nCity’s dominance continued as Orenuga burst away from the defence and tried to touch it round Ashton, but the Chorley stopper did superbly well to get a foot in and not give away a foul.\r\n\r\nChorley began to get back into the match and James Dean found himself in behind the defence but he rushed his shot and smashed his effort well over the stand.\r\n\r\nFollowing sustained Chorley pressure, James Bowen unleashed a superb strike from range that left Ashton in No Man’s Land but the rasping effort cannoned off the crossbar.\r\n\r\nThe visitors then turned the game around and City were on the back foot. It was nearly an own goal from Matt Williams as he sliced a clearance but Paul White got down quickly to collect it.\r\n\r\nChorley had their goalkeeper to thank again following an unbelievable save from Sam Ashton as he blocked a point blank effort from Harry White.\r\n\r\nWith the game seemingly petering out to a draw, a mistake from veteran Billy Jones let in Josh Hine but Sam Avery did extremely well to block the goal-bound shot.\r\n\r\nBut Gloucester City never gave up and in stoppage time, captain Tom Webb scored the winner from the edge of the box.\r\n\r\nWebb cut inside and fired a left footed shot away into the bottom corner to send the home fans into raptures.\r\n\r\nGloucester City: P. White, Green, Jones, M. Williams, Avery, Connolly, Bowen, Webb (c), Wright (H. White 70’), H. Williams, Orenuga (Staley 77’)\r\n\r\nSubs: Modest, Knowles, Rivers\r\n\r\nChorley: Ashton, Ross, Mather, Flynn, Doyle, Winter (Cottrell 69’), Hine, Whitham (c), Dean, Burns (Almond 58’), Dorney\r\n\r\nSubs: Roscoe, Lynch, Teague\r\n\r\nReferee: Simon Barrow\r\n\r\nAttendance: 445\r\n\r\nStar Man: Tom Webb

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.