Connor Waldon’s first-half brace saw Gloucester City complete a fantastic four days with another victory over one of the Skrill North’s high-flyers.\r\n\r\nMatt Groves, impressive throughout, set up both of the Swindon Town loanee’s finishes, firstly an excellent header followed by a wickedly deflected shot from 25-yards,  during an energetic opening first period.\r\n\r\nThe Mancunian side had a goal disallowed after a Greg Wilkinson’s header was adjudged offside, and defender Carl Rogers struck the crossbar twice.\r\n\r\nHowever, the Tigers long winless run seems a distant memory now, and after these stunning league place defying performances the season is finally in full-swing for Dave Mehew’s side.\r\n\r\nThe Skrill North pacesetters started the livelier and a first minute header from Gianluca Havern was well stopped by Mike Green.\r\n\r\nCity’s livewire loan signing Zak Kotwica produced two chances in as many minutes, firstly a snapshot which trickled wide, followed by lightning effort from 25 yards that zipped over the crossbar.\r\n\r\nMehew’s rejuvenated Tigers side then broke the deadlock after superb play from Groves on the left;  Waldon was there to head home from close range to send City ahead.\r\n\r\nThe Manchester outfit almost hit back seconds after the restart but James Walshaw’s quickly taken effort skewed wide.\r\n\r\nThe pressure was piling and after Walshaw’s powerful header was superbly saved by Green, followed by full-back Mike Green clearing off the line as City rode through the storm.\r\n\r\nNew signing Marcus Giglio, who looks to have solved City’s troublesome left-back issues, curled an effort around the Altrincham defence to force a fine by Stuart Coburn.\r\n\r\nThe visitors came inches from the equaliser, a quality knock across the area following a free-kick was somehow bundled onto the crossbar by Rogers from two yards out – a huge let-off as Altrincham looked dangerous.\r\n\r\nJust as similar events had happened in spite of City so far this season, this time, against the run of play, the Tigers benefitted hugely.\r\n\r\nGroves’ mazy run across the outside of the area saw the ball knocked back to Waldon, the Swindon Town loan striker slammed home, via a wicked deflection, and the Tigers doubled their lead.\r\n\r\nThe Skrill North’s third placed team continued to bombard the City defence into the second half, and after Brian Smikle’s knock-down Greg Wilkinson flashed his effort wide.\r\n\r\nThe Robins had the ball in the back of Green’s net after a fine header from Wilkinson, but the roaming midfielder had strayed marginally offside to keep the Tigers’ two goal lead.\r\n\r\nKotwica, who had been a nuisance throughout the contest, found space on the right, cut back, and fizzed a curling effort just wide of the upright.\r\n\r\nCity looked to pounce on the break and after Coburn had scurried out of goal, Waldon should’ve done better with a quickly taken shot on the left.\r\n\r\nAs the contest rolled into injury time Rogers once again struck the crossbar from a corner with a strong header; but luck was on City’s side as it bounced away from trouble and secured a long-awaited clean sheet and a another superb victory.\r\n\r\nGloucester City: M. Green, M. Green, M. Giglio, M. Coupe, J. Harris, T. Webb, Z. Kotwica (Parker 67), D. Mullings, S. Wilson (Morford 63), C. Waldon (Edwards 75), M. Groves\r\n\r\nSubs not used: M. Liddiard, D. Haile\r\n\r\nGoals:  Waldon 14, 36\r\n\r\nAltrincham: S. Coburn, S. Densmore, M. Doughty, C. Rogers, G. Havern, S. Leather, G. Wilkinson, S. Richman, K. Perry, J.Walshaw (Reeves 71), B. Smilke (Lawrie 71)\r\n\r\nSubs not used: M. Pouncey, R. Gilroy

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.