Two quick first half goals all but killed the game before a calm penalty from Richard Marshall cancelled out a Harry Williams consolation, as Gloucester City went down 3-1 at home to Bradford Park Avenue.\r\n\r\nJasbir Singh was forced into action twice in the first minute as the very dangerous Chib Chilaka had a double chance, first getting in behind Singh and then firing straight at the City stopper for the second.\r\n\r\nGloucester’s first sight on goal came following great play from Obi Anoruo to beat Ryan Qualter. Anoruo unleashed a venomous shot towards goal that was well turned behind by John Stewart.\r\n\r\nFemi Orenuga did well before cutting inside 25 yards out and shooting, but the effort was well blocked by Nathan Turner.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers were putting great pressure on the Avenue defence. Anoruo picked the ball up far from goal before volleying at Stewart who fumbled but then gathered at the second time of asking.\r\n\r\nJonté Smith drove at the visitors with a mazy run, beating several defenders, but there was no end product from the Bermuda international.\r\n\r\nA City player finally had the ball in the net, but it was the wrong one. A good cross from Danny Schofield was turned into his own net by Billy Jones following a deflection off Sam Avery.\r\n\r\nThe killer blow came in the form of a second goal moments later, as Chib Chilaka rose unmarked in the penalty area to head home superbly past Singh.\r\n\r\nJames Bowen nearly put the Tigers back into it with a speculative effort from far out that saw Stewart scrambling, with the Bradford stopper happy to see it go wide.\r\n\r\nCity started the second half brightly but it was Avenue who had the first chance. Jason St Juste was in acres of space on the wing, but his shot was turned behind by Singh.\r\n\r\nTo add insult to injury, Avenue were given a penalty after Singh fouled Chilaka, with the dangerous striker going away from goal. Richard Marshall stepped up and calmly converted.\r\n\r\nCity were given hope though moments later, as a brilliant run from Harry Williams culminated in a smart finish off the post by the Cheltenham Town loanee.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers thought they had doubled their tally soon after when the mother of all goalmouth scrambles followed from a Jones free kick, but the ball didn’t quite cross the line.\r\n\r\nHarry Williams nearly had his brace after curling a shot towards the far corner that barely missed the post.\r\n\r\nHowever, Avenue showed a great degree of professionalism in the closing stages to curtail any dreams of a Tigers comeback.\r\n\r\nGloucester City: Singh, Hamilton, Jones, M. Williams (capt), Avery, Knowles, Bowen, Hanks, Anoruo (Hicks 87’), Smith (Cooke 55’), Orenuga (H. Williams 55’)\r\n\r\nSubs: Webb, Richards\r\n\r\nBradford Park Avenue: Stewart (capt), Scott (R. Marshall 42’), Mather, Turner, Qualter, Priestley, King, P. Marshall, Chilaka (Walshaw 87’), Schofield (McDonald 68’), St Juste\r\n\r\nSubs: Potts, Burgin\r\n\r\nReferee: Chris O’Donnell\r\n\r\nAttendance: 269\r\n\r\nStar man:  Jasbir Singh

Comments are closed.