A battling second half performance could not prevent Gloucester City from slipping to their fourth Conference North defeat in a row against Tamworth.\r\n\r\nBrendon Daniel’s 14th minute strike followed by Kayden Jackson capitalising on a Jack Harris mistake added another two minutes before the break.\r\n\r\nJoe Parker, who recently extended his loan with the club, pulled a goal back from a route one move 11 minutes into the second half as the Tigers rallied but Tamworth held on.\r\n\r\nDaniels offered two early warnings, with a 40-yard blast that Gloucester goalkeeper Jasbir Singh had to be alert to tip over the bar before shooting wide with another chance.\r\n\r\nSo it was no surprise when the winger broke the deadlock on 14 minutes, running into the box and drilling into the bottom corner past Singh’s left side with his sweet left foot.\r\n\r\nThe best City could muster was a dangerous low cross from Tom Webb after he had burst into the box and a looping header from Chris Knowles that was held by watchful Tamworth goalkeeper James Belshaw.\r\n\r\nGloucester boss Tim Harris responded by switching from a 4-3-3 formation to 4-4-2 with striker Charlie Griffin replacing injured midfielder Webb and they slowly started to get a foothold in the game.\r\n\r\nEventually they began creating chances but less than a minute after Griffin was unable to divert his header at the far post towards goal from Matt Groves’ floated cross from the left they were dealt a hammer blow.\r\n\r\nCaptain Jack Harris tried to deal with a long punt by passing back to his keeper but scuffed the ball as he came under pressure from Kayden Jackson, who capitalised by running into the box and slotting past Singh.\r\n\r\nGloucester got themselves back in the game 11 minutes into the second half when Griffin’s flick on from Singh’s goal kick was latched onto by Parker, who showed good composure to slot low past Belshaw.\r\n\r\nThe goal lifted City’s players and their fans, while Tamworth were rocked. Chris Knowles attempted to divert Lewis Hall’s long range shot in but fired straight at Belshaw.\r\n\r\nHarry White was then presented with a great chance as Dominic Smith’s header back sold Belshaw short but the Gloucester striker’s attempted lob went straight into the goalkeeper’s grateful arms.\r\n\r\nFor the remaining half-hour, Tamworth tamed the Tigers and there were no major alarms as they claimed the three points.\r\n\r\nGloucester City: Singh, Green, Hall, Harris (c) (Lucas, 86), Williams, Knowles, Richards, Webb (Griffin, 21), White (Jones, 62), Parker, Groves.\r\n\r\nSubs not used: Avery, Connolly.\r\n\r\nTamworth: Belshaw, Smith, Vidal, James, Sampson, Adams, Green (c), Clarke, Jackson, Morrell (Trainer, 90), Daniels.\r\n\r\nSubs not used: Townsend, Wilkins, Taylor, Gill.\r\n\r\nAtt: 246\r\n\r\nStar man: Joe Parker

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.