A cruel ending for Gloucester City, as a controversial penalty saw Tamworth take all three points, writes Elliott Cuff.\r\n\r\nAn even affair for the majority of the game, Tamworth opened the scoring for the away side with a goal from Connor Taylor.\r\n\r\nJoe Parker equalised moments later for the home side, before Robbie Cundy’s excellent performance was marred late on after he was sent off for bringing down Brandon Fox in the area.\r\n\r\nEllis Deeney converted the resulting penalty late on, resulting in what was a harsh loss for the Tigers.\r\n\r\nEarly pressure from Tamworth put the home side on the back foot, with a string of high pressing attacks keeping the Gloucester City’s backline vigilant.\r\n\r\nAn early half-chance came for Tamworth, with Captain Paul Green sliding a ball through to the on running Connor Taylor, who couldn’t get there before Tigers’ goalkeeper Jasbir Singh could clear.\r\n\r\nIt wasn’t long after that that the home side had their first chance of the game. An Ed Williams cross was met with a strong punch by James Belshaw, who could only punch as far as Tom Webb, whose resulting effort was adjudged by the Gloucester players to have struck the hands of the defender, however the claims were waved by referee Sarah Garratt.\r\n\r\nGloucester City grew into the game as the half progressed, with a number of chances on the the Tamworth goal.\r\n\r\nA free kick from the Tigers went to Ed Williams in the box, who controlled well with his chest before laying off to Tom Webb, whose shot on the turn was well blocked and cleared by the Tamworth defence.\r\n\r\nA botched clearing by Belshaw then saw Lewis Hall presented with the first real opportunity to open the scoring, however his tame strike was cleared by Steve Tommasson before it could reach the open net.\r\n\r\nDurrell then squandered the best chance of the first half, after he blazed a half-volley shot over the bar on the 18-yard line, following Ross Dyer’s chest down.\r\n\r\nThis was immediately followed up by a bursting run from Tamworth fullback Curtis Strong up the left flank, who caused problems throughout, with his bending shot being well saved to the bottom right hand corner by Singh.\r\n\r\nA lapse in concentration from Robbie Cundy late on almost saw Danny Newton open the scoring for the visitors, however the Tamworth striker failed to control the ball before it was snapped up by the onrushing Singh.\r\n\r\nHall then broke quickly down the left wing and pulled the ball back to Williams on the penalty spot but it was quickly swept away by by Strong.\r\n\r\nA fairly even first half, neither team would have gone into the dressing room too disappointed, with Tamworth having the best chance of the game so far.\r\n\r\nEntering the second half, Tamworth once again started the sharper side, employing high pressure on the Gloucester City defensive line.\r\n\r\nNewton again tried his luck but his shot was high and wide of the top left hand corner, then at the other end of the field Hall teed up Hanks, but the midfielders well hit volley was collected easily by Belshaw.\r\n\r\nNewton looked to be in as he slid the ball through the legs of Singh on the edge of the box, but his run was cut out by the covering Sam Avery.\r\n\r\nTamworth had another great chance to take the lead, as a long throw into the box was controlled well by Louis Ezewele, but the following shot from Newton was fired over the bar.\r\n\r\nTaylor finally broke the deadlock for Tamworth, as a cross from the left was palmed out into space by Singh, enabling Taylor to drive home.\r\n\r\nAlmost immediately, Parker slotted for the home side. A long throw from Billy Jones found Avery at the far post, where his beautifully headed shot was saved by Belshaw, only for Parker to tap in from the rebound.\r\n\r\nSubstitute Omari Sterling-James almost made an immediate impact after replacing Hall, turning his man inside out before floating a ball deep into the box, just too high for Chris Knowles to get enough purchase on.\r\n\r\nIn the final minutes of added time, Robbie Cundy was sent off for a challenge on Brandon Fox, with Ellis Deeney slotting the penalty into the bottom right corner.\r\n\r\nGloucester City: Singh, M. Green, Jones, Cundy, Avery, Knowles, Webb (capt), Hanks, Williams, Parker (Dale 82’), Hall (Sterling-James 82’)\r\n\r\nSubs: Richards, Hamilton, Dinsley\r\n\r\nTamworth: Belshaw, Burns, Dyer, Deeney, Tomasson, Ezewele, Durrell, P. Green (capt), Newton, Taylor (Fox 84’), Strong\r\n\r\nSubs: Moulton, Pace, Morrell, Smith\r\n\r\nReferee: Sarah Garrett\r\n\r\nAttendance: 406\r\n\r\nStar man: Robbie Cundy

Comments are closed.