Tim Harris’ young Tigers earned their stripes with a hard fought point against the Vanarama North’s in-form side Solihull Moors.\r\n\r\nAdam Mann scored a brilliant solo goal to bring City back to level terms after Darryl Knights curled home to break the deadlock.\r\n\r\nCity fielded a starting line-up with an average age of 23 and against a seasoned Moors squad fought tooth and nail as both sides could’ve nicked all three points.\r\n\r\nSolihull’s Omar Bogle missed a dreadful penalty, blazing over the bar, and Ryan Beswick delivered a sumptuous chip that bounced off the top of the woodwork.\r\n\r\nBut, the Tigers were left to rue three major opportunities with Matt Groves, Mann and Charlie Griffin all coming agonisingly close to making sure City recorded their first league win since August.\r\n\r\nAs fireworks were blazing near Whaddon Road before kick-off, the Tigers almost replicated this on the pitch as Groves was denied twice in the second minute.\r\n\r\nJoe Parker, in front of a watching Newport County boss Justin Edinburgh, poked into the side-netting after a quick breakthrough from Nathan Modest.\r\n\r\nThe visitors, seven games unbeaten heading into the fixture, threatened with Bogle bringing the best out of Jamie Stephens with a looping header.\r\n\r\nIt was just a premonition as Solihull drew first blood, with City over-committing, Knights pounded forward, rode Matt Williams’ challenge, and tucked home for the lead.\r\n\r\nMoors looked like scoring with every attack; Beswick missing a terrible header, Bogle audaciously attempting to lob Stephens and miscuing a second effort to City’s relief.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers retort came swiftly after, Billy Jones drove a low ball into Mann, who swivelled, danced through the defence and shot ferociously into the top corner.\r\n\r\nHarris’ men came with all guns blazing, but one ball over the top and a slight touch on ex-Aston Villa man Darren Byfield from Stephens saw Solihull given a spotkick that Bogle duly blazed high over the bar.\r\n\r\nMoving into the second period, Michael Nottingham knocked towards goal only to see Spencer Hamilton, growing in stature every game, clear off the line and it was Jones’ time shortly after to crucially intervened before Beswick was going to shoot at goal.\r\n\r\nCity rallied, sensing the three points were in their grasp, firstly Groves spurning a golden opportunity, blasting over at the far post with ample time.\r\n\r\nBeswick bounced a delicious chip off the crossbar as both sides traded blows in the closing stages.\r\n\r\nCharlie Griffin shaved the far post with a trademark header that looked in all the way until it veered away from goal and Mann knocked wide as City ended feeling they maybe could’ve nicked all three points.\r\n\r\nGloucester City: J. Stephens, S. Avery, B. Jones, S. Hamilton, M. Williams, A. Connolly, G. Miller, N. Modest, J. Parker (C. Griffin 76), A. Mann, M. Groves\r\n\r\nSubs not used: M. Richards, C. Jones, W. Greenwood, H. Rivers\r\n\r\nGoals: Mann 34\r\n\r\nSolihull Moors:  T. Breeden, M. Nottingham, J. Gough, J. Denny, L. Daly, R. Elvins, D. Byfield, J. English (R. Fleet 86), O. Bogle (O. Story 79), R. Beswick, D. Knights\r\n\r\nSubs not used: D. Chamberlain, R. Taundry, D. Langdon\r\n\r\nGoals: Knights 18\r\n\r\nAttendance: 371\r\n\r\nMan of the Match: Spencer Hamilton

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.