Gloucester City were held to a draw against relegation candidates Hyde on a frustrating afternoon at Whaddon Road.\r\n\r\nCharlie Griffin’s goal 20 minutes from time gave the Tigers a point as they dominated for much of the second half but couldn’t force a winning goal.\r\n\r\nCaptain Josh Brizell opening the scoring, slamming home 90 seconds into the second half, but also missed a penalty with Mike Green saving low fantastically well.\r\n\r\nCity’s talisman Griffin also had two goals disallowed by the assistant referee, including one in the 94th minute, but a victory wasn’t meant to be for Tim Harris’ men.\r\n\r\nThe contest began with Hyde in the ascendency as Steve James and Louis Almond both tested Mike Green with efforts in the opening minutes.\r\n\r\nOnly Billy Jones’ goal-line block denied the Mancunian side an opener  with Jamie Menagh finding space on the overlap and shooting at the far corner.\r\n\r\nThe home side started to get back into the contest with Griffin, Scott Wilson and Adam Mann all having slight sniffs at goal.\r\n\r\nO’Brien denied Wilson after Mann had sprinted into space, laid on a cross for Wilson that was shot at point blank range into the Hyde shotstopper.\r\n\r\nJust before the break Vanarama North Player of the Month Griffin had the ball in the back of the net after a sweet header, only to be denied through the linesman’s raised flag.\r\n\r\nThe visitors took a surprise lead at the beginning of the second half with captain Brizell finding space in behind the Tigers defence to slam home into the top corner.\r\n\r\nGloucester tried to hit back immediately with the ball finding its way to substitute Chris Jones who shot inches wide from 10 yards out.\r\n\r\nThe drama continued on the hour mark with Almond being brought down in the penalty area, Brizell stepped up for the spot-kick, which was saved brilliantly by Green; another let-off.\r\n\r\nGloucester began to pile on the pressure with Jones, Williams and Griffin all seeing chances going amiss.\r\n\r\nThe persistence paid off with 20 minutes remaining as Mann crossed in perfectly onto Griffin’s head and slotted with aplomb.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers continued to attempt to force a winner as Matt Groves swiftly turned in the box but drilled inches wide.\r\n\r\nChris Jones curled wide after getting behind the defender, before in injury time Griffin turned and shot to produce a sublime stop from O’Brien.\r\n\r\nGloucester came to rue the linesman’s flag one more time in the 94th minute as Griffin lofted the ball over the keeper only to be denied for a second time.\r\n\r\nGloucester City: M. Green, S. Avery, B. Jones, M. Preece, M. Williams, A. Connolly, T. Webb, S. Wilson (M. Groves 66), C. Griffin, A. Mann, M. Green (C. Jones 31)\r\n\r\nSubs not used:  E. Chamberlain, M. Richards, H. Rivers\r\n\r\nGoals: Griffin 71\r\n\r\nHyde: B. O’Brien, A. Thurston, K. Brownhill, J. Brizell, R. Day, C. Hughes, J. Menagh (J. Conchie 87), D. O’Connor, S. James, T. Bentham (A. Blakeman 66), L. Almond (R. Walker 67)\r\n\r\nSubs not used: D. Mukuna, L. Giverin\r\n\r\nGoals: Brizell 47\r\n\r\nAttendance: 557

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.