Scott Wilson’s superb strike secured Gloucester City a replay after an enthralling FA Cup tie against Havant and Waterlooville on Sunday.\r\n\r\nDennis Oli had opened the scoring for the Hampshire side early in second half, but with City chasing an equaliser they needed it came in the form of Wilson.\r\n\r\nIt could’ve been even better for the Tigers but Guyana international Jake Newton cleared Darren Mullings’ header off the line with two minutes remaining.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers began the better and after a positive ball from Jamie Edge, Wilson couldn’t find the ball as it was plucked out of the by Hawks keeper Ross Fitzsimmons.\r\n\r\nWith possession at a premium during the early echelons of the contest, chances were restricted to a distance, and Lewis Hogg unleashed a storming effort than shot inches over the bar from 25 yards out.\r\n\r\nThe battling midfielder tested Fitzsimmons, on loan from Premier League side Crystal Palace, with a hanging free kick to the back post.\r\n\r\nThere was controversy after half an hour with goalkeeper Mike Green bringing down Hawks striker Oli in the area; but no penalty was given.\r\n\r\nThe best opportunity of an increasingly open half fell to Will Morford after a fantastic corner from Hogg found the forward free in the area, but his header was placed a yard wide.\r\n\r\nThe Hampshire side attempted to gain a stranglehold heading into half-time with Christian Nanetti blasting an audacious free kick attempt from 35 yards out, followed by a free header for Oli that sailed over the bar.\r\n\r\nThe visitors made the breakthrough on 58 minutes with Nanetti stepping down the left hand side and directed a weighted ball into the path of Oli who smashed home.\r\n\r\nIt was City’s turn to decry a penalty decision soon after with Matt Groves hacked down seemingly in the area, only for a free kick to be given much to the anger of the squad; from the resulting set pieces Matt Coupe worked Fitzsimmons from close range.\r\n\r\nDarren Mullings came inches from equalising after a Lewis Hogg knock down, but his run was a mili-second late as it past the midfielder at the back post.\r\n\r\nThen came Wilson’s time to shine; a stunning throughball from Hogg found the pacey striker who unleashed a wonderful strike past the keeper for the equaliser.\r\n\r\nAn enthralling encounter developed with both sides throwing all they had at one another, a proper cup tie.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers had a golden opportunity through the goalscorer Wilson who tried to chip over Fitzsimmons; but the effort hit the keeper in the face and deflected away.\r\n\r\nA frenetic end to the game ensued with the Tigers bombarding the Hawks goal and after Liddiard had headed back across the goal, Mullings’ powerful header was hacked around the post by Jake Newton.\r\n\r\nThe replay will take place at Havant and Waterlooville’s Westleigh Park on Tuesday.\r\n\r\nGloucester City: M. Green, J. Edge (Liddiard 58), T. Weir, M. Coupe, J. Harris, T. Webb, L. Hogg, D. Mullings, W. Morford, S. Wilson (Parker 83), M. Groves\r\n\r\nSubs Not Used: N. Phillips, D. Edwards, S. Turl, N. Mustoe\r\n\r\nGoals: Wilson 67\r\n\r\nHavant and Waterlooville: R. Fitzsimmons, J. Newton, D. Blanchett, P. Montiero, R. Woodford, E. Harris (Strugnell 12), P. Ryan, N. Atangara (Przespolewski 68), D. Oli (Jones 62), C. Nanetti, N. Ciardini\r\n\r\nSubs Not Used:  C. Searle, S. Kabba, A. Harris, E. Hutchinson\r\n\r\nGoals: Oli 58\r\n\r\nAttendance: 336

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.