Gloucester City put on a defensive clinic to keep out a host of FC United of Manchester late chances with Obi Anoruo’s goal the difference as the Tigers kicked off their National League North campaign with a 1-0 victory.\r\n\r\nGloucester City had the first chance of the game through Ross Staley, who could only direct his first minute header over David Carnell’s goal.\r\n\r\nFC United of Manchester started well with Rory Fallon striking an effort from distance but his effort was never troubling Jasbir Singh.\r\n\r\nFallon was looking dangerous early on. A drilled cross into the box from the left was met by the United midfielder who sliced a volley well wide.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers were defending well in the early going. Tom Greaves sidestepped a couple of tackles and was forced wide to get a shot off, but his off balance shot was never looking dangerous.\r\n\r\nFollowing sustained pressure from the visitors, Obi Anoruo broke through in behind the United defence but just couldn’t get the ball out from under his feet.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers were in the ascendancy and went close through Matt Williams who met a Billy Jones corner but the skipper couldn’t quite get over the ball to direct the ball goalwards.\r\n\r\nCity took the lead towards the end of the half through Obi Anoruo as he got in behind the United defence before rifling a great shot across the goal and into the far corner.\r\n\r\nRoss Staley tried to curl an effort into the far corner soon after but his effort was never troubling David Carnell.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers had a penalty on the stroke of half time after Anoruo nicked in ahead of Carnell who brought down the City striker. Billy Jones stepped up for the spot kick but the effort was expertly saved high to his right by David Carnell.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers defence were working overtime in the second half.  A huge goalmouth scramble was somehow kept out of the City goal by a combination of Matt Williams, Spencer Hamilton and Sam Avery.\r\n\r\nUnited began to throw everything at the Tigers goal in a desperate attempt to equalise. A header came in from Bayunu from an FC United corner, another scramble ensued and Jasbir Singh somehow managed to come out clutching the ball.\r\n\r\nObi Anoruo again broke through 1-on-1 with Carnell but his effort was tame and straight into the grateful arms of David Carnell.\r\n\r\nFC United had the ball in the net in the 96th minute of play but it was ruled out for offside. Jaz Singh made a mistake from a goal kick and the ball found its way to Tom Greaves who slotted home past Singh, but he was adjudged to be offside.\r\n\r\nGloucester City: Singh, Hamilton, Jones, Williams (capt), Avery, Connolly, Liddiard, Thompson, Anoruo (Parker 76’), White (Symons 82’), Staley (Hall 59’)\r\n\r\nSubs: Richards\r\n\r\nFC United: Carnell, Brownhill, Daniels (Cooke 63’), Birch (Byrne 76’), Bayunu, Ashworth, Woldenden (Murray 76’), Fallon, Greaves, Wright (capt), Lindfield\r\n\r\nSubs: Brown, Stott\r\n\r\nAttendance: 1459\r\n\r\nStar man: Sam Avery (Gloucester)\r\n\r\nReferee: Simon Barrow

Comments are closed.