In a crunch clash of the bottom sides Gloucester City conquered Corby Town 1-0 courtesy of a Joshua Cooke goal in an end to end game that could prove a crucial result for Gloucester over the coming months, writes Robert Herman.\r\n\r\nThe first half started evenly with the best early chance falling to the visitors as they showed their counter attacking prowess. It was captain Cleveland Taylor who found himself in acres of space on the edge of the box who went close as his shot rebounded off the bar.\r\n\r\nIf didn’t take Gloucester long to return the favour with a close call of their own when Obi Anoruo dragged his volley wide after a good ball forward from Billy Jones\r\n\r\nFor the next 15 minutes Gloucester applied continuous pressure with Jones delivering a couple of free kicks and midfielder James Bowen unable to convert after failing to get the ball to get the ball out of his feet.\r\n\r\nDespite this pressure Corby stayed strong and continued to use their counter attacking game successfully with the skilful Wilson Carvalho linking well with his fellow forwards demonstrating a clear threat for Gloucester’s shaky defence.\r\n\r\nAs we approached the end of the first half Gloucester began to assert their dominance with the ever dangerous Bowen setting up long time servant Tom Webb to drive one from the edge of the box to force a good save from opposition keeper Paul Walker\r\n\r\nThe last chance of the half fell to The Tigers forward Anoruo who had a number of chances in the first half but this one when much the same as he pulled the shot wide. He would be left to rue missed chances as the sides went in level at half time nil-nil.\r\n\r\nThe start of the second half saw the introduction Swindon loanee Joshua Cooke to try and make the difference for Gloucester.\r\n\r\nThe early stages saw both sides attempting long balls to try and access the pace on the flanks as tempers continued to flare with Corby’s Ben O’Hanlon and Bowen clashing.\r\n\r\nCorby though clearly enjoyed the early exchanges with Carvalho showcasing his skills with stepovers and a strong shot that was well blocked.\r\n\r\nHowever as strong as Corby looked they were powerless for what was to happen in the sixty-fifth minute when sub Cooke with an instinctive turning shot in the box following a flick on, fired Gloucester into a one-nil lead.\r\n\r\nThe home side thought they had a second four minutes later when Anoruo slotted home but was questionably given offside.\r\n\r\nAs the game reached its conclusion Corby wee looking ever more beaten as Gloucester and Cooke really enjoying themselves as they continued to cause veteran defender Clayton McDonald all sorts of problems.\r\n\r\nGloucester held on comfortably in added time to win one-nil with their centre back Sam Avery with a great effort nearly catching out opposition keeper Paul Walker from his own half to sum up a happy day for the home team.\r\n\r\nGloucester City: Singh, Hamilton, Jones, Williams (capt), Avery, Miller, Bowen, Webb, Anoruo (Knowles 78’), Smith (Cooke 46’), Orenuga (Hanks 90’)\r\n\r\nSubs: Harris, Richards\r\n\r\nCorby Town: Walker, Thomas (Revan 76’), O’Hanlon, Courtney, McDonald, N’Goma, Mills (Johnson 76’), Taylor (capt), Ball, Milnes, Carvalho (Wright 66’)\r\n\r\nSubs: Draper, Revan, Johnson, Wright\r\n\r\nReferee: Richard Hulme\r\n\r\nAttendance: 312\r\n\r\nStar Man: Sam Avery

Comments are closed.