Gloucester City went down to big spending league leaders Solihull Moors as they just weren’t clinical enough in front of goal, despite a good performance.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers rattled Solihull early and were putting good pressure on the towering back line of the league leaders. Luke Hopper, starting for the first time following a long injury lay-off, saw his shot deflected behind.\r\n\r\nTom Webb went close for the Tigers as he latched onto the ball on the edge of the box before his volley fizzed wide of the mark.\r\n\r\nThen followed a lovely move from City. Webb knocked the ball inside to Notts County loanee Colby Bishop who side footed straight at Danny Lewis from 20 yards.\r\n\r\nSomewhat against the run of play, City found themselves behind as Akwasi Asante gave Moors the lead.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers were undone by a good corner routine as Liam Daly knocked the ball back across goal for Asante to power a free header into the back of the net.\r\n\r\nAsante was then involved again but his finish left a lot to be desired as he looked to go all by himself when Darryl Knights was better positioned.\r\n\r\nCity got caught sleeping from a throw in to allow Ryan Beswick in on goal but he pulled his shot hopelessly wide.\r\n\r\nThe Tigers were left wishing Whaddon Road had goal line technology as the ball was adjudged not to have crossed the line twice.\r\n\r\nFirst Ed Williams shot was superbly stopped by Danny Lewis then hacked off the line, before Sam Avery rattled the crossbar with a header that bounced on the line.\r\n\r\nPressure from City continued into the second half with Hanks shooting against Daly before Bishop rose highest to flick towards goal but Lewis got down very well to stop.\r\n\r\nCity were then denied two penalty shouts by the referee first following claims for handball and then for what looked like a blatant pull back on Hanks.\r\n\r\nKnights went really close with a half volley on the edge of the box that looked to be going in, but it swerved away at the last moment.\r\n\r\nThen came the killer blow as City were caught on the counter attack as they looked to get the equaliser but Asante broke away before squaring to Knights for a tap in.\r\n\r\nThe best chance of the game for City came towards the dying moments as Omari Sterling-James knocked a header down to Bobbie Dale who fired straight at Lewis when he should have scored.\r\n\r\nCity won’t be too disheartened with the result though as they performed well against a big, physical side with some quality players.\r\n\r\nThey remain in 13th place in the National League North table, as they travel to Alfreton Town next weekend hoping to get back to winning ways.\r\n\r\nGloucester City: Singh, Green, Jones, Cundy, Avery, Dinsley, Webb (capt), Hanks (Sterling-James 73’), Hopper (Dale 65’ (Hall 83’)), Bishop, Williams\r\n\r\nSubs: Hamilton, Knowles\r\n\r\nSolihull Moors: Lewis, Nottingham, Franklin, Daly, Streete (capt), Dean, Asanti (Moore 90+1’), Byrne, Brown, Beswick (Armson 85’), Knights (Walker 75’)\r\n\r\nSubs: Bignot, Gough, Moore\r\n\r\nReferee: Ian Rathbone\r\n\r\nAttendance: 411\r\n\r\nStar man: Ed Williams

Comments are closed.